Monday, February 22, 2010

Downtown 2/22/10

On my way downtown today I had to make a stop in El Monte. After taking care of that business I drove down Rosemead Blvd back to the I-10. I was almost to the freeway waiting at a signal when a homeless man named Richard was pushing his cart on the sidewalk right by my car. I offered him some of the food I had which he gladly accepted. When I drove away I realized I hadn't gotten the bags ready to give out yet and Richard ended up with two loaves of bread instead of one. I hope he can barter it with someone for something else he might need! I got on the freeway there and went into town getting off at Soto St and the I-10. I used to deliver freight to a company up that street north of the USC Medical Center. I drove around in that area and then dropped into downtown LA from the north side. I passed by Olvera St. and Union Station and saw several people needing help that I just couldn't quite get to. Around First St and Alameda is an Office Depot store where I saw a homeless man sitting on the back steps of the building. I will tell you about him at the end.
I continued down Alameda St and turned east on 4th St. I don't remember the signal I had to stop at but while stopped I saw a homeless man in a wheelchair trying to cross the street. I was several cars back and figured this was going to take a little while. Then everyone started going again and the man in the wheelchair was now in between lanes/cars. When I got to where he was I asked him if he needed some food. He replied, "Sure". I handed him a bag of food and then heard the car behind me honking at me! This "exchange" with David in the wheelchair probably lasted a total of 5 seconds yet the person behind me couldn't wait to allow for a homeless man in a wheelchair to receive some help! It was pretty pathetic. Today, being a Monday morning, it was all business in the city.
At Central Blvd. between the I-10 and Washington Blvd I saw Henry laying on the sidewalk. I saw Henry once before about five months ago. I remember the encounter well. He was at the same spot and I had to park and walk back to him just like today. He was the one who when I asked him if I could pray for him he said, "Oh yes, please pray for me." You tend to remember people who ask for prayer so desperately. Today it was very busy there (it was noon at this time) and I had to park in a 10 minute zone in front of a small corner restaurant. Because of the parking issue I couldn't talk to Henry to find out what's been going on for the last few months. He needed the food and water and when I asked him if he needed a blanket he said yes to that too. I told him to watch for me because I would have to drive around the block and hand it to him through the window rather quickly. When I got back to him he was there waiting by the curb. He thanked me again for the help.
For the last couple of weeks I've been trying to find (shoeless) Marie. I didn't see her on the sidewalk on 7th so I drove over to the Jack in the Box where I've seen her a couple of times. Still no luck today either. I did see John Stokes there whom I've helped many times before. I get along very well with John. On one of my first trips downtown last year I sat down on the sidewalk with him and talked to him at length about being homeless. I was very new to this and I just point blank asked him, "So what do homeless people need?" He told me three things that are so obvious but when you don't know, you don't know! He told me water, socks and blankets. I remember that day I just happened to have a brand new pair of socks in my car that I hadn't put on yet. I said, "You want a new pair of socks? I've got a brand new pair in the car just for you!" That conversation is what got me started bringing more supplies besides just bread on these trips. On the way out of the city today I was able to help one more person. He was new to me. His name was Kennedy and I'm guessing he was in his late twenties. He was closer to the skid row area and was definitely thankful for the help.
Well I want to tell you now about the guy at the Office Depot. I couldn't park on the street next to where he was so I drove to the Office Depot parking lot and got a bag of food and some water and walked back to where he was. He was a very soft spoken man and with the busy traffic on Alameda it was kind of hard to hear him at first. I asked if he could use what I brought and he said, "Oh yes, thank you." I then asked if he could use any clothes or a blanket. He indicated he could use a new pair of pants so I invited him to walk back with me to the car and look through the trunk for items he could use. Before we started to the car he wanted to put the stuff I had given him in a small cardboard box he had. It was a small box maybe 24" x 24". His life's possession were in that box. He also had several pieces of cardboard that he undoubtedly used to sleep on at night and sit on during the day. While shuffling these pieces of cardboard around I noticed he had a "Daily Bread" devotional booklet. While walking to the car he told me his name was Louis Parks. He was from Philadelphia and was 63 years old. I have an older brother that same age. When we got to the car we found a pair of pants, a couple pairs of socks, a warm shirt and a blanket. I then said I have something else for you and mentioned that I had seen the devotional booklet that he had. I gave him a Gospel of John and a Guidepost magazine and asked if I could pray for him before he left. He said sure so I prayed for his protection on the streets and God's presence and blessing in his life and told him that God loved him. When I finished praying he looked me in the eye and thanked me again. That moment was priceless. I'll never forget it. I had to fight back the tears as he walked away. If he was the only man I helped today, then the trip was worth it beyond measure. Thank you Lord, for allowing me to meet Louis today. Until next week. --John

No comments:

Post a Comment