Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Downtown 4/12/2010

I was hoping the rain Sunday night into Monday morning was done by the time I left my house at 9:30 a.m. It looked a little like it would rain some more but it never did. I started by trying to find Ron again on the 4th St. bridge but didn't see him. His "spot" on the bridge looks as though he hasn't been there in a while. Perhaps he's moved on. I did see Antonio again at the other end of the bridge. He was sitting exactly as he was last week with a blanket over his head. I asked him if he got wet last night, but he said he got under the bridge and stayed dry. He stills seems very coherent and I wish I had more of an opportunity to talk with him but you have to keep your car moving when you're on that bridge. I continued on 4th St to Boyle Ave and then up to Cesar Chavez Ave. As I followed this street (it becomes Sunset Blvd) past Dodger Stadium, Echo Park and Silver Lake I noticed several homeless people living on the sidewalks in this area. Some of these people had a lot of stuff while others had very little. I wondered what they did last night when it was raining. I finally saw a guy with a shopping cart who was looking for recyclables in trash cans and dumpsters along the way. He was on Sunset Blvd just before Silver Lake Blvd. His name was William and he was from Wichita, Kansas. I asked which recycler he used and he said he used one on Temple St. There was another one nearby but he told me they didn't let him in there. I know the one on Temple St. is located just outside of the downtown area and is pretty much surrounded by homeless people. I would guess William to be around 50 years old and he was very thin. I was glad to be of help and to pray with him.
I drove back to the downtown area and found "Amir". I really don't know what his name is because he doesn't speak English. He is of Middle Eastern descent and lives under the I-10 freeway off of 18th St. Encounters with Amir are difficult because I don't know a single word in his language and he doesn't seem to know any English either. I can only point and see what his reaction is. He accepted the food but declined the water (I think?). He kept rambling on in his language and shook my hand. I'm pretty sure he was thankful for the help. I had to keep the encounter brief because I had parked in a no stopping zone on 18th St. I was pretty sure I could get away with it for a couple of minutes so I took the risk. I had noticed a couple of weeks ago Amir had his shoes off and his pant legs rolled up. His feet were very discolored. Being up this close I noticed his shoes were more like sandals than real shoes and he had no socks on. Next time I think I'll just take some shoes and socks to him and see what happens.
I continued along 18th St. and eventually found James pushing a shopping cart near Central St. He was bundled up in an overcoat and had his 'working' clothes on (he was recycling). He seemed in good spirits and was happy to receive a bag of food.
At this point I decided to take a break at the Jack in the Box on Alameda St. By now you know when I go there it doesn't take too long before I see someone outside who needs some help. I was sitting at a table inside waiting for my order when I saw a man slowly pushing his shopping cart north on Alameda. I figured he was probably going to the recycler there on the corner. Well, I had finished eating when I saw this same man pushing his shopping cart back the other way. I quickly got up and walked out to him and asked if he needed some food. He said yes and I told him to wait while I walked back to my car. Well, he followed me to my car with his shopping cart and I gave him some water and food and a hygiene bag. When I looked in his shopping cart on that little compartment that they all have, by the handle I saw an empty bread roll. It looked like the kind of bread you would get at Subway but without anything in it. I can only guess where he got it. I was glad that inside the bag of food I gave him was a fresh loaf of whole grain bread. I ended up opening up the trunk and giving him a whole bunch of clothing items and a blanket. Each time I asked if he needed something he said "yes". I don't think he spoke much English but he did know that word and it worked well for him this time. I finally asked him his name, "Como te llama?" It was as though he came alive. He proudly and loudly said, "Julio Luis Ortega". It was a great moment and worth the trip just for this one moment alone. By now you're probably wondering why I don't just stay there at the Jack in the Box all morning waiting for people to come by. Some of my most memorable encounters have been in and around that square mile area.
I had one bag of food left and was heading back towards the Mateo and 4th St area when I happened to pass by where John Stokes lives. He lives on the east side of Alameda St on a little side street off Olympic Blvd. I haven't talked with John in quite a while. He was the one I gave batteries to one Sunday last fall. He has had quite a set up there under the freeway with a tent and an old couch. As I went by today the couch was gone and the tent was not up. However, he was sitting by all his stuff. He came over to the car and told me the police had taken his couch and mattress and told him he can't put his tent up until after 9:00 p.m. at night. They told him they don't want it to look like he 'lives' there. Well, I think he's been 'living' there under the freewary for over ten years. I have learned a lot from John Stokes about the homeless. He was one of the first I talked to at length about their needs. I've also tried to locate a sister of his in the Atlanta, Georgia area on the internet. Apparently, there is some inheritance money he's been trying to get for many years but has been unable to get in contact with this sister. It's not a lot of money but enough to get him off the street. It's also his only hope of getting off the street. It's a reminder that everyone, no matter who they are or where they live, have hopes and dreams of a better life. One day perhaps, John will give me the piece of information needed to help me locate his sister. Until next week. --John

No comments:

Post a Comment