Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Downtown 5/31/2010

I arrived downtown at about 8:00 a.m. which is the earliest time I've ever been down there on one of these trips. With the holiday and the early hour the traffic was extremely light. I stopped first in the garmet district to pick-up a supply of socks, if possible, and was surprised the store was even open on the holiday. After leaving that store I traveled down Olive St and at around 12th St I found Dorothy all huddled up against a building. Although the sun was shining and it appeared it would be a warm day she was thrilled to get, not only some food, but a nice heavy coat with a hood too. Dorothy is a young woman, maybe 25 or so and very dimunitive. When I prayed with her I prayed especially for her protection. It's heartbreaking to realize how this woman will most likely survive on the streets and the abuse she will have to face. Pray for Dorothy.
Usually, I take a drive down skid row each week just to get the impact of the homeless situation in Los Angeles. The actual skid row street is 6th, but I drove down 5th, 6th and 7th streets and saw hundreds of people. Some were sleeping on the sidewalks but most were up and awake. I saw one man (with a crowd of people standing around) going through someone elses shopping cart and taking all the recycleable bottles and cans. Most of the people in this area live off of the missions. Substance abuse and theft are rampant down here. I usually don't try to help the people in this area because I've learned they have become so dependent upon the missions that they often aren't interested in the food and water I have because they'd have to carry it. I figure they aren't that desperate if they know where their next meal is coming from. That's why I concentrate on the homeless along the I-10 freeway. They are trying to eke out their existence by recycling and staying away from all the trouble on skid row. They're nearly always appreciative of any help one might offer. So when I left the skid row area I traveled down Central Ave and found Octavius (yeah, that was his name) under the I-10 freeway. He was laying down on a piece of cardboard and covered up with a blanket. He was from Detroit. I asked how he ended up out here and his reply was somewhat humorous. "I came out here because of the gold in them hills and the easy livin'." We both had a good laugh over that one. Since I couldn't park on the curb next to him I had parked in a parking lot about 30 yards away. I kept making trips to the car to get more stuff for him (shoes, shirts, etc). At one point while talking with him we heard a pop noise that sounded kind of close. I looked around but didn't see any rocks or anything. Then we both noticed what had happened. A bird from up under the freeway had pooped on his cardboard sleeping mat. I said, "Yikes" when we realized what had happened. He told me he sometimes has to throw rocks at birds that have roosted directly above him at night-time. I'm thankful for a roof over my head and one that doesn't have birds under it too. As I walked back to my car a man called out to me from across the street. Apparently, he had been watching us. He was in need of help too. I always love it when someone else walks up while I'm helping someone and I get to help two at once. This was a man called Peter. And I wasn't going to pass-up an opportunity to help and to pray with Peter!
After leaving these two men I drove down 16th St which parallels the I-10 freeway and found Juan walking down the street carrying a bag that looked like it was all the possessions he had. On that street I only had a few moments to speak with him and offer him some food and water which he gladly accepted with much thanks. As I started to pull away he said, "You're beautiful." What a privilege to help people exactly when they need it most!
After leaving Juan I crossed over to Washington Blvd and found two people needing help. One was another young man whose name was Brandon. He was in almost the identical shape as Juan. Walking down the street with one bag that appeared to contain all his possessions. A little further down Washington and across the street was Becky. I've been able to help Becky a couple of times before. She was sitting on the steps of a house that looks like they rent out rooms. It's a fairly good size house with maybe 6 to 10 rooms in it. I was surprised they let her stop there because she has a couple of dogs that were laying down on the steps with her (and of course her shopping cart with A LOT of stuff in it). Becky proudly showed off a tiny little kitten in her hands. As I drove away I couldn't help but think how this woman would make a good loving mother to small children. She has always been happy and talkative with me and it's unfortunate that her mothering instincts aren't allowed to blossom some place where they are most needed. Pray that Becky finds that place. Until next week. John

No comments:

Post a Comment