Monday, October 4, 2010

Downtown 10/3/2010

Sometimes a need of one of the people I encounter stays with me all week and I try and meet that need and find them the next week. Such was the case this week. Last week you may recall the first encounter was with a young man named Luis who lives in a gulley across the street from Lincoln Park. He is the one who helped a friend of his for three days (helping him move) and then wasn't paid anything for his time and effort. I had noticed while we talked that his pants were too big and I decided to get him a new pair that fit. So I took off Sunday with a new pair (guessing that a pair size 34 x 32 would fit) in hopes of finding him. However, when I arrived there he was nowhere to be found and I didn't see Phillip or Nancy either. I decided I'd come back by at the end of the trip and maybe he would be there then. With that I went over to Mission Rd to see if I could find Marsela and her dog Moses but again came up empty on that search too. While driving in that deserted industrial area I did find a man digging through a dumpster. His name was Pedro Cruz and he was from Arizona. He spoke very little English but I think he wanted to make sure that I didn't think he was an illegal immigrant. After digging through his pockets he showed me a picture ID from an Arizona Mission Outreach. My feeling is if I find a man digging through a dumpster I think he has bigger issues than whether he's legal to be here or not and my Christian responsibility is to help meet his immediate needs. After giving him a bag of food and some water he was very happy and I think greatly relieved. He even wanted to know, "Are you a Padre?"
Not too far from Pedro I found Richard off Alameda Blvd. I'm not sure if I've ever seen this Richard before. He is a very typical looking homeless person. I'm guessing him to be about 65 years old with very matted hair, a fairly large frame and the smell of homelessness abounding about him. He looked tired and worn out and spoke in a very soft voice. I felt so privileged to put my hand on his shoulder and pray for him. I doubt if any "normal" people ever talk to him much anymore. As I left he had started eating out of the can of soup in the bag of food I left with him. I wondered how long it had been since he had a decent meal.
I drove around for a while after this. I've been trying to find Darrel Roberts who I met a month ago at one of the corners of Pershing Square Park, but I didn't find him today either. I did find a homeless man sleeping on the sidewalk near Central Ave and Pico. His name was Fredrick. When I parked and got out and started walking towards him he got up. I think he thought I was going to run him off. I asked if he needed any food or water but he declined both. I then asked if he needed any socks. That got his interest and he said, "You got any?" I told him I did and opened the trunk of my car. He ended up with the socks and a T-shirt. I again asked him if he needed any food or water but again he said he didn't. His clothes were pretty dirty and he didn't have much in his shopping cart (mostly just recyclables). Before leaving Fredrick I prayed with him and told him to keep an eye out for me since I come around every week. Maybe the next time he'll need more help from me.
Eventually, I ended up going down the alley off Hooper St where Willie and Tara Lee live. Today there was another man living there with them by the name of Chris. They were all sleeping when I pulled up. It had started to cool off (it was about 3-3:30 p.m.) by now and they were all covered up. I noticed Willie didn't have the yellow plastic toddler slide to sleep on anymore. He told me someone had stolen it! The encounter with these three men turned out to be quite memorable. I gave Willie a bag of food and some water and he asked if I could give Chris some too. I said, "Sure" and gave Chris a bag and a gallon of water too. I noticed Chris had on some slippers and asked if he needed some socks. His jaw dropped and he said, "Yes." I then asked if he needed a shirt or anything. He said he could use a big T-shirt (Chris was a pretty big guy). He was standing by the trunk of my car at this point and I had a couple of large T-shirts left out of about 35 or 40 that I had originally. He got the socks, a T-shirt and I had a pair of long shorts that fit too. He asked about shoes and I asked him what size he wore. He told me he wore 12's and I only had 10's in the car except for the pair of 12's that I had on. I told him I'd give him my pair. He was stunned and said, "I think I'm about to cry." He ended up with a blanket too and asked, "You don't have a cap by chance do you?" I said, "Yeah, I have a cap." I had a couple on the floor of the front seat of my car. When I looked I found three, one was a Green Bay Packer cap and I wasn't going to part with that! Besides the Roadway cap was a lot cleaner anyway. He told me that during the daytime the sun has been so hot that the cap will help
alot. He had put everything on at this point and said, "I feel like a new man now! Thank you." (see photo) I took his picture and showed it to him. He said he looked like a big kid. By now Willie wanted to make sure that Tera Lee got some food and water so I took a bag and some water to him. He lives about 10 yards down on the other side of the alley. I asked him if he needed any clothes and he said he could use a long sleeve shirt because he was going to the post office on Monday. I told him I had one just right for him (a bright blue one) and I think I gave him a T-shirt too. By now both Willie and Chris had settled back down on their blankets and were eating and drinking from the water jugs. I heard them comment to each other how nice it was to have good tasting water. They told me that the water they had been drinking tasted so bad due to the pipes it came out of. At this point I usually say, "Let me pray for you before I go." But since they were both sitting down in their 'homes' and quite on the spur of the moment I said, "Let me tell you a story before I go." I had noticed a couple of Bibles in Willie's shopping cart and had already given Chris a Gospel of John booklet. I began to tell them about the Jewish Passover celebration and how during Passover the Jews would live in a tent usually on the roof of their house during Passover week. I explained that they would have a Passover lamb and that this lamb would have to be perfect in order to be used for the Passover celebration and they would generally bring the lamb inside to live with them almost like a pet and the children would become very attached to this lamb. When the lamb was then sacrificed for their sins this became a "real sacrifice" especially for the children and it became something personal to them. I then told them that John the Baptist called Jesus the "Lamb of God" and when we bring this Jesus into our hearts his sacrifice on the cross becomes very personal and real to us too. Chris told me, "Wow, I've never heard it said like that before!" I told them, "Remember, God loves you and so do I. I'll be back by in a few weeks and I'll see you then." I pulled on down and said goodby to Tera Lee as I drove away. It occurred to me that it was the first "sermonette" I had given in an alley downtown. It was pure joy.
I drove south on Central Ave to Washington Blvd and then drove west. When I passed Hill street I saw a homeless man sitting on the sidewalk by himself with a small blue bag. I drove around the block and pulled up next to where he was sitting. I got out and asked if he needed some food. His name was Ron and he originally was from the east coast. I don't exactly remember what clothes I gave him, I know I gave him some socks and a shirt but he kind of surprised me when he asked if I had a belt. The only belt I had was the one I had on and it was my 'best' belt. I then noticed the reason for his request. The pants he had on were, and I'm not exaggerating, at least 10 sizes too big for him. He had to constantly use one hand just to hold them up (see photo). It then occurred to me that I had a pair in the car that might fit (th ones for Luis). I said, "Would a pair of pants size 34 x 32 fit you?" He thought for about 3 seconds and
said, "That's the exact size I wear!" I told him, "Well then take these" and handed him the new pair. I then took his picture and prayed with him. I helped him carry the stuff over to his bag. He told me someone else had helped him earlier that day and pointed to a gospel tract that they had left with him. I told him, "See, God has not forgotten about you." I couldn't help but think that Sunday night when Ron is by himself he has to be amazed about the God who sent two people that day to help him.
From there I drove down to 36th and Broadway to check on the family living in an alley that I know. Sheila and Joe with her brother live in this short alley. I didn't see Sheila but Joe was home and I spoke with him. It turns out they are from Georgia. The last time I had stopped by I didn't have much food left and I wanted to do better this time. Getting by has been a real struggle for these folks and Joe was very appreciative of the help.
Well, I couldn't leave downtown without stopping by the alley where I have been prayer-walking. I drove over there and parked next to the parking lot where Gary lives. He was just coming in from the gate on the alley side of the parking lot. He told me the people with the church in the building next to him have been busy all weekend renovating it. It had been freshly painted on the front of the outside of the building and inside there were now several dozen pews being installed. There were still several workers there and I learned that the pastor's sermons are broadcast down in Mexico on a radio station. Perhaps, that is how they can afford the rent there. Eventually, I prayer-walked down the alley and back down to my car from the Main St. side Remember I was walking in my socks. The alley had been cleaned up remarkably (see photo). I took a couple of pictures in the places where all the debris had been before and then a rather interesting photo of some graffitti with the words "cloud nine". It was a fitting end to a memorable trip. Until next week. --John


P.S. Don't worry about a pair of pants for Luis...I got him another new pair on Monday. Oh, and a pair of shoes for me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment