Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Downtown 3/6/2012

[Sometimes] we forget that there is no victory without a battle, no testimony without a test and no miracle without an impossible circumstance. God leads us in triumph by leading us into battles, tests and impossibilities!" ---Kris Vallotton from his book "Spirit Wars"

We often are looking for the easy way out, the level road and the path of least resistance. Yet life had a habit of throwing us curves and pot holes. When I arrived downtown at the Jack in the Box yesterday, John Stokes was greeting people at the door (that's his normal 'mo' for obtaining food). He told me he was so glad to see me because he had lost everything again to the city workers who came by where he lived and took everything away. Starting over again is a fairly regular occurrance to most homeless folks. Losing your stuff to other homeless people or city workers/law enforcement is simply the way life is on the street. When John told me this my immediate reaction was "not again" as if it was his fault. He told me they had even taken the last gallon jug of water I gave him and he hadn't even opened it up yet. As soon as I felt this irritation about his situation I immediately felt like Peter after he denied knowing Jesus. How could I be so heartless. What if God dealt out mercy and forgiveness to me, the way I wanted John Stokes to somehow "earn" the next batch of stuff I was about to give him. If I am to be the 'ambassador' of God to these people, I'd better change my attitude in a hurry. The bible, particularly in the Old Testament, continually reminds us not to abuse the poor. It doesn't give any reasons or conditions for being poor, it just says to help the poor period. After giving John some clothes and a blanket, he asked me to pray for him before I left. I looked at John and saw the frail poor elderly man that he is and was thankful for the privilege of being asked to pray for him. How often do I ask God for forgiveness over the same issues time after time.

I started driving over to a spot under the I-10 freeway by San Pedro St. and saw a man named David begging on the street corner. That corner is also the freeway offramp. He limped over to me when I offered him some burgers. He was from Florida. He was dirty and unshaven and grateful for the help. So just across the street and under the freeway from David I was hoping to find Mark. When I pulled up there was someone all bundled up and lying on the ground under the freeway, but it wasn't Mark. It turned out to be a woman by the name of Gail. I wasn't really clear on where she was from, but she had only been in this spot since the night before. She was very appreciative of the help. I parked and opened the trunk because she indicated she could use some socks. While going through the trunk a man pushing a shopping cart passed by and without speaking motioned to me that he could use some help to. Now I had already prayed with Gail before this man, whose name was Gijermo, came by. He saw the clothes in the car and was looking for some help with that. I asked if he needed some food. When he said yes, Gail offered to give him one of her burgers. She didn't know that I had more in the car. I told her to keep hers and gave Gijermo two more and some water too. He ended up receiving a blanket, jeans and socks too. Now he spoke Spanish (he was from Cuba) and understood very little English. However, he knew when I started praying for him and bowed his head. I've learned to begin prayers for Spanish speaking people with the words "El Senor" which means "The Lord". After he left, Gail was still standing with me by the trunk. It was as though she didn't want me to leave, she seemed very lonely. I asked if there was anything special that I could pray for her about. She said, "A pot of gold." I was a little surprised by that and asked her to repeat it. When I prayed for her again, I asked for God's presence in leading her through this difficult time in her life. I acknowledged that God's presence is more valuable that gold because gold only takes care of a few problems this life has, but not the loneliness and despair that she was feeling now. It was a very moving moment and I hated to have to leave her alone. I told her over the next few days to look for Mark. He would be a good companion for her in the area.

Just a few streets down from where Gail was, I saw a man with a shopping cart picking up stuff in the middle of a small street off Washington Blvd. It was Wall St. and it runs all the way downtown to the skid row area and by the police station where I try to park when I'm down there. Anyway, where this man was, was between 16th and Washington Blvd. When I pulled up by him I offered him some food which he accepted quickly and then he asked me if I noticed how clean the street was. I told him I did and then he wanted to know, "Do you know who cleaned it up?" I told him, "Well, I think you did, didn't you?" I complimented him on how well it looked. He was proud of the job he had done. It shows just how much these folks want to be valued as people of worth. Yes, many live their lives in despair and hopelessness, but not all of them. His name was Masio, and he was walking with a spring in his step when I left him.

After prayer-walking down Cloud Nine Alley I drove towards the skid row area. I found two men, one on 14th St and the other on 14th Pl who were very hungry and couldn't believe their good fortune when I offered them some food and water. Their names were Bill and Steve. I drove back up a couple of streets to the alley where I met Willie and Lee a couple of weeks ago. I had driven past there earlier, but some trucks were in the alley making it impossible to get through. The alley was clear now and I saw Willie and James and gave away the last two burgers I had. Two weeks ago, when I saw Lee in this alley he told me something that has stuck with me. He told me that this area (the one where I primarily worked in this morning) seems to have a 'hold' on the homeless people living there and it won't let them out. What he was saying was that the forces of darkness (the New Testament calls them powers and principalities) keep these people locked in to the area. It was a stunning statement to me. I'm committed to bring light and hope to this dark place. --Until next week. John

No comments:

Post a Comment