Sunday, May 13, 2012

Downtown 5/6/2012

"His [God's] delight is not in the strength of the horse, nor his pleasure in the speed of a runner, but the Lord takes pleasure in those who fear him, in those who hope in his steadfast love." Psalm 147:10-11

It has been a few days since I made Sunday night's trip, but one thing happened that I wanted to write down so as to have a record and a remembrance of it. I had pretty much finished the bulk of the trip and had gone down to skid row to prayer-walk before leaving. It was about forty minutes or so before it would be dark and as I parked in front of the police station at 6th and Wall I asked God to give me one person I could pray for. I got out of my car and stood in front of it for about a minute or so and then walked to the corner and waited for the signal to turn green before crossing the street. As I stood there a young man of about 18 or 19 years old walked up to the corner and was waiting for the signal to change also. He turned to me and quite boldly asked me the following question. "If you could give me anything in the world that I need, what would it be?" Well I had two bucks in my pocket and had given out all the food I had already so my options did not include money or food. I quickly answered, "Well, I can pray for you." He told me his name was Darnell and he said, "Yes, please pray for me." and he started to walk across the street (the signal had changed to green). I think he thought I would pray for him later. I told him, "Wait, let me pray for you right now." So as we walked across the street together I put my hand on his shoulder and prayed for God's presence and blessings in his life. When we crossed the street we went in different directions. It was at this point that I suddenly realized how quickly God had answered my prayer request for someone to pray for! About 3 minutes was all it took! I didn't even ask him, he asked me! Our God is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment