Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Downtown 7/22/2012

"And anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name, just because you belong to me, will surely be rewarded." --Mark 9:41

Well, no one gave me a cup of cold water, but since it has been so hot, I decided it would be a good day to give the homeless I met a bottle of cold water. So I loaded up the ice chest with ice and bottled water and took-off for downtown. I hadn't been able to go since the barbecue (3 Sunday's ago) because of my schedule so I was really looking forward to going Sunday. As it turned out, it was a very quiet day. I think most everyone had looked for a place to hide from the heat. I prayer-walked on skid-row and then bought some burgers and started looking for folks. I found a couple of men (Willie and Steve) on one of the alleys off Hooper St., but none at some of the other 'regular' spots I go to. I even went over to Lincoln Park and didn't find anyone there. Robert who lives across from a mini truck stop on 4th and Alameda had already be given a stash of food from someone. I ended up down off Wall St and 9th around 6:45 p.m. Everything went quickly then. Everyone on that street was quite thankful for the help. I got a few laughs when I "apologized" for the water being 'so cold' that the bottles were hard to hold in your hand. Probably the most memorable moment came when I first arrived downtown and had finished prayer-walking the skid row area. I was getting in my car when I saw a man sitting near the door to the police station. I had noticed him earlier walking slowly and all bent-over like you see some old folks with osteoperosis. I felt he needed a bottle of cold water. After walking up to him and handing him a bottle from the ice chest, I said, "It looks like you could use this." I think he said, "God bless you." three times to me as I walked back to the car. --Until next week

No comments:

Post a Comment