Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Downtown 10/29/2012

"It's impossible to pray and have nothing happen.  God is not deaf or blind."  Bill Johnson, pastor of Bethel Church in Redding, California.

As believers, the above statement has powerful implications for every aspect of our lives (at least those we pray about).  I'm sure some theologians would raise objections about non-believers and a couple of other categories of believers living out of the will of God, but for the most part, believers striving to pursue God's will for their lives the statement is true.  Of course, His timing is different from our timing and His answer may look different than what we're expecting.  But the principle is intriguing.  If we go forward, in faith, based on the assumption that God hears our prayers, what might we expect?  Notice I didn't say, what might we see.  We may see no changes or differences on the surface of things.  Yesterday's trip downtown was pretty much a repeat of the week before.  The places where I saw most of my homeless friends were still deserted.  I only saw John Stokes, everyone else was a new face.  I did go later, towards evening time and stayed until after dark.  The people I helped were all alone.  When you find a homeless person alone at night and just after it's dark, the chances are high that they are hungry.  Such was the case last night.  At least half and probably most of the people I helped were hungry.  One man, who I didn't recognize, said, "You always come at just the right time."  I guess he recognized me.  All I know is, when I saw him pushing his cart down the middle of a small street off Alameda, in darkness, he had the most gaunt and haunting look on his face.  I knew right away he needed help and needed it right then.  Now I had been praying before and during the trip that I would find those who God needed me to reach.  It would appear, I was also the answer to this man's private prayer too, along with a half a dozen others I was able to reach.  I'll keep praying and believing He will send me to the ones needing the most help.  One other man was leaning against a building down on Olive St.  He was eating a piece of bread (a very small piece of bread).  When I pulled up next to him (Olive is a one-way street) I saw he was eating something and I asked if he needed some "aqua".  He indicated he did and then asked if I had "More bread?"  Then there was a woman sitting in the darkness on the sidewalk on Wall St and 9th who was all alone, there were several others in similar situations last night too.  It's always a great privilege to help those in great need.  -Until next week.  John

No comments:

Post a Comment