Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Downtown 2/24/2013

"But whoever has this world's goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?"  the words of John the apostle ---1 John 3:17 

I just finished reading an account from a woman missionary, named Heather, in Thailand after her first experience in the 'red-light district' of that city.  After describing the shock of what it looked like first-hand as opposed to seeing it on TV or reading a report or email she said, in part, the "Thai churches can preach a message of revival and transformation to a culture so accustomed to this "industry", and I am thankful that God has allowed me to be here to offer not what I have, but what He has...."  It was quite a reminder that even when my food resources are low my primary resource is Him and my overflowing staple is God's love and mercy and not what I bring in the trunk of the car or purchase on the way down there.  I nearly always drive through the skid row area just to be blown away by the incredible need.  Then I drive to the outskirts of that area to stop for and care for the one here and the one there where the big established mid-night missions don't reach.  The power and gifting that the Holy Spirit has given this ministry has always been one-on-one personal contact.  There is nothing wrong with big churches and big mission centers, but I've found the real adventure for me is out in the streets, away from the crowds and one guy sharing with one or two others how God loves even the one (them!) face to face.

I had a most incredible encounter Sunday with a man named Shawn.  I had never met him before.  It was in an alley near where I knew three other men lived over a couple of years ago.  I mentioned Billy, James and Will (check out blog entry on Nov 1, 2010) to Shawn and he knew them too!  Two of them had moved on to Pasadena to some VA housing and Shawn confirmed that Will had followed them there a few months back.  I'm guessing Shawn to be about 35 years old.  He told me he was from Ventura.  I told him I had lived in Ventura one summer (1983) and was sort of homeless myself at the time.  I was living out of a truck that I was driving for work at the time.  Anyway, we seemed to have an instant connection.  I had given him some food (which he ate right away) and clothing (he put the sweater on before I left because it was cold) and we were just standing by the car talking for about thirty minutes.  Apparently, he had had some Christian upbringing and had a general understanding of the bible.  This turned out to be useful in helping him see that since God knows where he's from and all about him that God is able to speak to him in exactly the way that will reach through to his heart if he will just pray and seek after Him.  He told me he had been married with three step-children, but through choices that he had made he ended up where he is today.  I was also able to help him see through my own experiences in helping the homeless that since everyone is created in God's image, then we are all people of worth to Him, even the seemingly worst of us!  For some reason I shared with Shawn an experience I had about 7 or 8 years ago and how God spoke to me in a very specific way when I was having trouble forgiving someone.  I'll try to keep this story as brief as possible, but someone at work at offended me.  I was holding on to this 'offense' in my heart for a couple of days.  On a Monday I was prayer-walking in the neighborhood of my church at the time.  Prayer-walking is praying for people as I walked by their houses and yet here I was holding on to this incredible anger.  I soon realized the inconsistancy and futility in this and knew there was only one thing to do even though I didn't want to do it.  I was to pray for the man who offended me!!!  Ouch!  OK, so I did it even though I really didn't want to.  Exactly twenty four hours and twenty minutes later I get a call from my wife telling me that someone I was interested in was being interviewed on the radio right then.  I turned on the radio and heard this man (he was a missionary's kid and his dad had been killed by the tribe he was living with at the time) tell the story of an experience he had when he was nine years old living in the jungles of Ecuador.  One night he heard men shouting outside.  He was frightened and went into where his Aunt was sleeping and asked her what was going on.  She woke up and listened to the voices for a minute or two and said, "Oh, those are men from another tribe who have come to kill us, but our men are telling them that we don't do that anymore (the tribe had been converted to Christianity) and even if they kill some of us, we won't kill them."  You have to realize that in a span of about 10 minutes after turning on this program I suddenly realized these "uncivilized" South American natives understood more about surrendering to God all their 'rights' and displaying mercy and forgiveness than I understood in all my years of being a Christian.  I was humbled instantly and totally ashamed.  But also, the anger immediately disappeared.  How could I remain angry over someone's rude words to me, when these men were willing to give up their lives?  Anyway, I explained to Shawn that God knew exactly what would reach through to me.  He (God) let me stew about it for 24 hours and then wham, bam get over it!!!!  The same way will work for him, pray and allow God the freedom to work on your heart.  Well, we talked about a few other spiritual issues when a latino man by the name of Mario rode by on a bicycle.  He stopped and motioned with his hand over his stomach that he was hungry.  While I went to get some burgers out of the car, Shawn started talking to Mario in Spanish!  I was pleasantly surprised and proud of Shawn.  Mario got some food, water and a sweater.  It was a good thirty minutes.......

On the way out of town I drove by where John Stokes lives.  Last week he wasn't there and that's when I met Mel (I met with Mel when I first arrived today).  Today John was there and also a couple of other people were with him.  I only had 2 burgers left and there were three people!  John came over to the car and I gave him the two.  He gave one to the woman who was there and kept the other burger.  I had given him three bottles of water.  The 'odd man out' gave me quite a mournful look.  What was I to do?  I suddenly remembered I had some peanut butter crackers, so I called him over and offered him those.  That saved the day!  He was happy (I gave him about six packs of them).  I usually bring a half a dozen cans of spagetti or beef ravioli, but I didn't have any with me today.  Somehow, there's always seems to be "just enough" of the stuff I bring, but always "more than enough" of the mercy and love God supplies. --Until next time.  John

          

No comments:

Post a Comment