Monday, June 10, 2013

Downtown 6/9/2013


                               The story of Mr. Nan Guo

"In the Warring States period, in the third to fifth centuries before Yesu (Christ), there was a state called Qi.  The king was fond of listening to music played on the Yu, a wind instrument.  So he convened a band of three hundred players.  Every day  at teatime the band was called in to play the Yu for His Majesty.  Now, one of the players, Mr. Nan Guo, knew nothing about the instrument.  But, by pretending to play the Yu, he was believed to be part of the orchestra.  No one knew the truth.

Finally the king died, and the prince became king.  But the new king did not like to hear the orchestra.  He enjoyed solo performances.  He called each musician in to play alone for him.  This time, Nan Guo could not hide.  He was shown to be what he was!"

The point of the story is what Yesu (Christ) said in another story.  The tares and wheat grow up together.  There are those who appear to be playing the Yu, those who appear to be Christians.  Then, when they are put to the test, it shows who they really are...."   ----from the novel Safely Home, by Randy Alcorn, about the persecuted house churches in China and how dangerous it is to be a Christian there.

                                          ---------------------------------------------------------------

When I read this story this morning I thought it was an interesting twist on Jesus' story about the tares and wheat (believers and non-believers) growing together, who won't be separated until the day of judgement when their true identities will be revealed.  All during our lives we are faced with moments or opportunities when the decisions we make in that moment will change our direction or the direction of others.  Yesterday, was such a time as this...

For the most part, yesterday's trip was uneventful.  I arrived later than normal because my work scheduled has changed back to nights and I have to sleep when I get home now on Sunday mornings.  I was able to see Antonio and Lelicia whom I missed seeing last week.  I think Lelicia was worried something had happened to me.  When I told them next Sunday is Father's Day and said I have two kids and may not be able to make it next week, Antonio said they had a 28 year old son.  I also found out Antonio is 55 and Leticia is 53 years old.  As I was driving away from them I heard Leticia say, "I love you."  Not too far from them I found a man named Carlos sitting on the sidewalk.  He had a backpack next to him and not much else.  It looked like he'd been wearing the same clothes for awhile.  When I gave him some food and water I could see him looking up to the sky and pointing and then looking at me and thanking me.  It was another direct lesson on the difference between being thankful for help and being happy about being helped.  While talking with Carlos and giving him some much needed clothes another young man named Alex came walking by.  He had passed us, but suddenly realized what was going on and turned around and said something in Spanish while rubbing his stomach.  So he was helped too.  Before driving away, Carlos repeatedly said, "God bless you."

I also saw Willie on Wall St.  I hadn't seen Willie in a month or two.  He told me another Willie that we knew, who had been staying behind the auto parts store on Washington Blvd, had been held up and then beaten up.  Also, Tara Lee had been beaten up and received stitches on his chin within the last week or so.  It was a reminder how dangerous and cold-hearted living on the streets can be.  Willie also warned me about some of the people who have been staying around the two alleys where we've had the barbecues.  In fact, I had driven down one of them earlier and saw two men who seemed sort of out of place there.  They had declined my offer of help and seemed more interested in me moving on than anything.  So I obliged.

Well, I had helped another couple living under a freeway, his name was Paul and they had a small black dog named Magic (I'm hoping that didn't signify black magic) and then there was another man named Kenny who I found picking through trash in the gutter on Washington Blvd.  Anyway, I was down to the last couple of burgers and wanted to go by where John Stokes lives and find out what the latest news is on his plans to move back to Atlanta.  He's turned 65 now and is waiting for his social security checks to start arriving.  When I got to where he lives he had a couple of women there with him.  We talked for a few minutes about his situation and it looks like he'll have to wait at least until next month before he'll start receiving any additional money.  When I commented to him about his women friends he responded with a sheepish grin and said they were 'working girls'.  I had given John the last of the food and a couple of bottled waters, I don't know if he was going to share them or not.  I introduced myself to the two and they said they're names were Yolonda and Angelina.  We talked for a while and then as I was about to leave, John asked me to pray for them.  So, of course, I did.  So here is when "that moment" happened.  I had just gotten back in my car and hadn't even closed the door yet when Angelina walked over to me and asked if I was a pastor.  I said, "No, I'm just a guy."  Then she asked me if I thought she was pretty.  Yeah, I know what you're thinking.  Then she just kind of blurted out that her mother had just died a short time ago (killed in an accident by a drunk driver).  At this point, I knew that I needed to get out of the car to continue this conversation, so I did.  She then told me that she was struggling to get by and was ashamed of some of the things she was having to do.  I looked her in the eyes and told her that in God's eyes she was a person of worth and not to let anyone tell her differently. "Remember you were created in His image, He will always love you."  When I said this I could actually see a look of "Really?" on her face.  I then told her again that God loved her.  I said, "Look, I have two kids and no matter what's happened to them or where they are or what situation they're in, I love them no matter what.  The same goes for you, no matter what's happened to you, God loves you."  At this point I put my arm around her and said, "Let me pray for you."  I prayed that God would comfort her during this difficult time and provide for her needs.  While I prayed, she clung on to me like a six year-old little girl who needed the protection and comfort of her Mom.  What a privilege to have been there for her at this time as an ambassador for Christ.  I can only hope and pray that some other man doesn't come by with other motives in mind.  So here was "that moment".  It came by quite unexpectedly.  A month ago I had a similar encounter with a man named Dave who was living under a freeway.  He had asked me, "Will I ever get another job?  So here were two real people (and there have been others), in times of crisis in their lives, not knowing where their next meal will come or what the future holds.  They're feeling alone and abandoned by their families and society.  In Luke 19:10 Jesus said, "for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost."  My passion is to seek to serve Him.  My job is to be ready for every opportunity.        ---Until next time.  John           






No comments:

Post a Comment