Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Downtown 9/8/2013

Some Pharisees asked Jesus when God's kingdom would come.  He answered, "God's kingdom isn't something you can see.  There is no use saying, "Look!  Here it is" or "Look!  There it is.  God's kingdom is here with you."  -Luke 17:20-21

Since I hadn't seen John Stokes is three weeks or so I decided to check-in with him and see how he was doing.  For the first time in awhile he was by himself.  He was very happy to see me and bounced up and came over to the car.  I guess he was down to a single dollar and no food, so as he told me when I was leaving, "You're right on time, as always!"  He still hasn't gotten any action on his Social Security issue and it would appear as though he's resigned to having to wait two more years (until he's 67) before he can start receiving those benefits.  I'm going to try and make a few phone calls and see what I can find out.  Maybe, the issue is him being able to prove how old he really is.  We had a good visit and when I asked about Angelina (I had seen her with him the last couple of times) he told me she was pregnant and he hadn't seen her in a week or so.  So along with her insecurity issues, she's now pregnant.  The last time I saw them they were both so hungry they ate all the food I gave them while I was talking with them.  I guess it's easy to understand John's comment when I left, "You're right on time, as always!"

I drove a couple of blocks away and found Maurice and a man named Clay hanging out with him.  Elishia had gone on to Texas a couple of weeks ago and apparently, got into some trouble with the law.  Maurice has been trying to find out what happened and get down there himself, but she mistakenly took his bus ticket with her when she left.  I made some phone calls and found out where she was, so he's got a game plan now and should be leaving for Texas this week sometime.  We prayed together for healing in their relationship and resolution to her situation.

Since I didn't get a chance to stop and see Antonio and Leticia last week I started driving over to where I usually see them on Trinity St.  I drove down an alley off 16th and saw them slowly walking towards me in that alley.  Antonio was looking through piles of trash (I'm not sure what for since he didn't have a shopping cart to collect things) and Leticia was 10 yards or so behind him.  When I got to her and reached out through the car window for her hand, she leaned in and kissed me on the cheek.  I think they were both very hungry and thirsty and I had come if not 'right on time', then 'just in time'.  I had a yellow soccer jersey in the back of the car that I made sure Antonio received.  He held it up to check the size against his body and it put a smile on his face.  I asked if Alex was around and Antonio said he was, but I didn't see him when I got on down to Trinity St.  They both got food, water and some clothes, we prayed and I left them better off than when I found them.  How blessed it is to give to these people.

OK, so I'm only around the block from the big group on Wall St, so I headed over there and received another warm welcome from all the folks there.  There's one guy there who lives in an old RV and has shoulder length gray hair with a leather cowboy hat.  He always tells me how glad he is to see me and how happy it makes him feel when I pray with him.  Another man, Dave, has been bugging me for about a month for a pair of pants size 40.  The closest I had was pair of jeans size 38 that I had put aside to give to him.  He put the jeans on with a white T-shirt I had and said everything fit.  I teased Willie about the way he looked with a blanket wrapped around him in the summer-time heat.  Now at this point a couple of young men came over to the car.  They have been around here for awhile and the most tactful way to describe them is that they act like orphan children.  I was introduced to this concept by some missionaries who rescue orphan kids living on the streets and at trash dumps.  These kids have to 'watch out for themselves' and take whatever they can get however they can get it.  After they've been taken in, it usually takes awhile before they realize they don't have to live that way, that they are now somebody's kids and they will be taken care of.  Sometimes it takes a few days, for others a couple of weeks and for others even longer before they realize they don't have to fight for their own survival.  This is the difference between the orphan mentality and the adopted child mentality.  It also applies to our understanding of our place in Christ.  Are we orphans (doing things in our own strength) or 'heirs to the throne with Christ' (allowing Him in His power to work through us).  It makes a big difference in your attitude and your prayer life.  Anyway, I had been given three pairs of size 12 shoes recently and had them in the car.  One pair was brand new and was in a separate bag and the other two were used and in another bag.  Well, one of these men asked if I had any 11 1/2's.  I said I didn't, but the closest I had was some size 12's.  He showed me his worn-out shoes that had some holes in the toes, like they weren't quite big enough.  So I got out the two pairs in the one bag and let him pick one.  The other man that was with him grabbed the other pair even though he didn't wear shoes anywhere close to that size.  Now another man had come up and he needed size twelves also (his feet were definitely that size), but the one man had taken the other pair.  So the one man who really needed that size backed off and said, "OK, even though you don't wear that size, go ahead and take them."  I kind of signaled to him that I had him covered and gave him the pair of new shoes in the other bag.  I didn't take them out, but just put them in his shopping cart. It was at this point that he told me what happened to him after I prayed with him last week.  He had come by after I had given out all the food, but I did have some water left and I gave him a couple of bottles and prayed for him.  He told me that he, "felt something happen" when I prayed for him and that the next two people he saw that evening bought him some food.  He said, "I just wanted you to know what happened, because I felt something when you prayed for me."  Well, that was pretty cool and I thanked him for sharing that with me.  Then I showed him what was in the bag in his shopping cart.  I told him later, "You see, if you're patient, things will work out better than you imagined."  When I prayed for the 'big group' I explained to them that I 'try and bring the Kingdom of Heaven with me when I come down there.  That when they see me I want the 'peace that surpasses all understanding' to come upon them and I want them to feel the release of tension and that a pleasant and  happy atmosphere exists while I'm there if only for a short time.  However, if they continue to live in this kingdom with the mind of Christ the next day, when I'm not around, and the problems and pressures of this world are biting at their heels, then they can walk in this presence (kingdom) everyday."  I should add that I didn't say this until Dave (who had received his pants, shirts, food and water) said, "OK, John, hit me!"  That was the signal for me to start preaching and praying for them.  What an honor to be asked to speak to this group.

Well, I left there and went down to McArthur Park.  I got there later than usual and I absolutely couldn't find a place to park.  There seemed to be some festival going on in the park.  I found out later it was Mexican Independence Day (I thought that was May 5th), but apparently they celebrate Sept 8th too.  I drove around the park area for 15 -20 minutes looking for a parking place but had no luck.  So, I'll try again next time.  I knew there would be obstacles to this phase of ministry and that's fine, I expected it.  I'm not sure who said it (I think it was Bill Johnson from Bethel Church in Redding, CA), but I ran across something I had written down that said, "It's foolish to think you're going to coast into your destiny."  How true.  Until next time. --John             

 


No comments:

Post a Comment