Sunday, July 13, 2014

Downtown 6/22/2014

Below is a brief account of my trip.  I just haven't had much time to do a 'regular' blog on it.


The most memorable encounter of this trip was with Angel.  I have gone by her spot in the alley off Pico and Olive for a few weeks now, but she was never there.  This Sunday she was.  She popped out of her make-shift shelter with red stretch pants and a red bra on.  With all her missing teeth and the dirt all over her body it was quite a sight.  I decided to NOT take a picture.  After giving her some food and water and some socks I held her hand and prayed for her.  When I finished she asked me if I would say a special prayer for her friend "Ricky" who she said had died.  Now I'm not in the practice of praying for the dead, but I wanted to honor her request because she was obviously hurting over this lost relationship.  So I prayed for a special blessing on "Ricky" and for the Lord to comfort Angel over this lost relationship.  It was a special moment.  I went on down to McArthur Park, but I didn't see anyone preaching there and so I didn't stop.  I also wanted to try and visit a friend of mine from work who has been off on extended sick leave.  I tracked down his brother-in-law who reminded me where my friend lives (between Hoover and Vermont on 24th St.).  I went and visited this friend whom I haven't seen in 3 or 4 months and didn't really know why he was off.  We got to catch up his situation and I was privileged to pray for him when I left.

I also met Officer Anthony Pineda while stopping to feed Rocky (a pit bull that guards the back entrance to a building off Los Angeles St. and Venice Ave).  Anthony is one of the "Public Security" guys who rides around on a bicycle.  He was very pleasant, in fact, the first thing he said to me was "That guy down there (Raymond from Boston) needs some water."  I told him I'd get to him next.  I always stop, when possible, to feed Rocky.  Mr Pineda said he usually stops to check in on Rocky too.  He said he talked to the owners of the building about him a week ago and they got a little defensive about their care-taking responsibilities to the dog.  So after feeding the dog I talked to Raymond next.  He was in a wheelchair due to a bone disease.  I gave him food, water and some clothes and prayed with him.  Around the corner from Raymond I met Hugo sitting on the sidewalk.  He was hungry too.



No comments:

Post a Comment