Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Downtown 9/14/14

"When the poor and needy are dying of thirst and cannot find water, I, the LORD God of Israel, will come to their rescue.  I won't forget them.  I will make rivers flow on mountain peaks.  I will send streams to fill the valleys."  Isaiah 41:17-18a

Not only are we experiencing a severe drought here in California, but probably the last heat wave of the summer too.  When I left home for this week's trip it was 107 and it was almost 4 pm.  Downtown wasn't near as hot, low to mid 90's, but it had been a very hot day and had been that way for the last three or four days with more to come.  I had been looking forward to the trip because I knew people would be really wanting cold water, so I brought a lot with me.

Once again, there wasn't any one encounter that stood out, but everyone I handed food and cold water to was happy to receive it.  There were a few people by themselves spread out over the usual places and then I drove over to my friends at 25th and San Pedro.  At first I couldn't find a place to park there, but eventually a spot opened up that I was able to get.  I spent quite a lot of time with them, Dave, Hiram, Queen Victoria and a couple of new guys I met, Jimmy and Junior.  In talking with Victoria I learned that Elba's (from a couple of weeks ago) husband died just a couple of months ago. She is also the grandmother of the kids I saw that day, the kids' mother is handicapped.  Jimmy,who I didn't recognize, didn't recognize me at first either, but then after about ten minutes or so said, "I remember you.  You've been doing this a long time haven't you?"  I probably spent 45 minutes there just talking with them.  Other folks came by, including Becky.  I saw Dorothy walking by across the street, but she didn't come over.  Eventually, I prayed with them and left.  I told them I wouldn't be down there next week I have a trip to make out of town.

Before leaving for home I wanted to go by the store on 7th ave and Columbia.  Last week I had driven by there and for the first time in months the door where the words "I am Legion" had been painted were now gone.  The door had been rolled up for months and I didn't know they had been removed.  I'll take small victories like that any time.  This week I wanted to take a picture to show that prayer makes a difference!!!
Before prayer

 After several months of weekly prayer in front of it.
It should probably be noted that I never talked to anyone at this place, the 7/Eleven store or anyone on the whole block....ever!

Before closing, I wanted to share this video a friend posted on facebook the other day.  It's just under five minutes long.  It gives you an idea of how 'regular' people view the homeless and how just the least bit of kindness towards the homeless affects them:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85P2iMHfzKw&list=UUu4X846OSea5YU6S8fIpy1A


Make sure you watch the video from the link above, you may have to copy and paste it into your address line.  



No comments:

Post a Comment