Saturday, December 6, 2014

Saturday night downtown 12/6/2014

"If you mistreat the poor you insult your Creator, if you are kind to them you show him respect."  Proverbs 14:31

I usually don't have Saturday nights off from work, but I did have it off this week and I was able to make the trip at night.  It rained earlier this week and the temperature is still very cool (high 50's to low 60's). Along with the low night-time temperatures most of the homeless were already bedded down for the night when I arrived at about 6:30 pm.  Some I didn't try to arouse, but others (who were probably hungry) got up quickly when I asked if they were hungry.

One group of guys on the corner of Venice Blvd near Los Angeles St were still awake, but obviously winding down.  One of the men I had helped before but I probably hadn't seen him in over a year.  His name was Felipe and I used to see him a few blocks east of there with Antonio and Lecticia.  In fact, he asked me how they were doing.  After I helped these three men I prayed with them and it was then that Felipe said something I won't soon forget.  He said, "We need prayer.  Thank you so much." It wasn't said in a patronizing way, but really heartfelt.  He probably remembered me praying with Antonio and Leticia..

I left that corner and drove on down to Trinity St where I usually see Antonio and Leticia.  I didn't see them, although they may have been there sleeping under some blankets, but I did meet two men named Oscar and Pablo.  I didn't have a lengthy conversation with them because of the language barrier, but they were very thankful for the food and water.  They also were grateful for the "calcetines" (socks) and the blanket I gave them.  Yes, I got to pray with them too.

I saw Angel again in an alley off Pico and Olive.  She didn't say anything about leaving for Utah this time, but did talk about how a lot of her stuff had been stolen.  I let her go through the clothes in the back of the car.  I think she was pretty happy to see me tonight.

The last place I stopped was where I had the BBQ back in August.  I saw Willie and also Nicole's husband.  I'm not real sure if Nicole and him are married or not and I never did get his name.  I asked how Nicole was doing and they said she stops by there every night.  I didn't ask too many questions (like where she's staying), but I told them I have some stuff I've collected for her baby.  Willie said I could leave it with them and he'll make sure she gets it.  I didn't have any of it with me tonight, but I'll bring a few things at a time over the next few trips and I'll see if it makes it to her or not.  --Until next time.  John  

No comments:

Post a Comment