Monday, April 20, 2015

Downtown 4/19/2015

I lift up my eyes to the hills--from where will my help come?
My help comes from the LORD who made heaven and earth.

He will not let your foot be moved, he who keeps you will not slumber.
He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.

The LORD is your keeper; the LORD is your shade at your right hand.
The sun shall not strike you by day nor the moon by night.

The LORD will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life.
The LORD will keep your going out and your coming in from this time on and forever more.
---Psalm 121

This is a song the Jews would sing on their way up to the temple during their various festivals. Jesus essentially said the same thing before his final assention into heaven to his disciples, except it was more to the point....."And remember, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."  --Matthew 28:20b

I ended my last trip late Sunday night a week ago on a small street by a freeway off-ramp.  There are about 8-10 people living there now.  A couple of the people living there I'm good friends with and we had talked about some of the special needs they have at this time.  I got their phone number that night and before I left yesterday I called to make sure they were going to be there.  But with that many people at one site it can make stopping by there a little 'difficult'.  If I brought my normal amount of food with me, it would be all gone in one stop and the trip would be pretty much over in fifteen or twenty minutes.  My ability to gain access to loners on the rest of the trip would be greatly diminished without food.  I drove to a nearby parking lot and thought about what to do.  If I went on over there without any food and just gave some stuff to the special friends, the others might be hurt and offended.  If I spent all my resources on one stop, the trip would be over.  I thought about calling and having them meet me in the parking lot, but I figured that might end up being seen as not wanting to see everyone else and that might have ramifications in the weeks to come.  So I prayed about it.  "Lord, what would you have me do?"  I decided to let the Lord handle the situation.  I was gong to go over there without any food, give my friends the stuff that was specific to their needs, let the others go through the clothes (they were mostly women's clothes this week) and let God handle their hearts.  It worked out perfectly!  No one else even asked if I had any food.  I did have some water in the front seat and a few asked for some water, but no one asked for any food.  Two or three men looked through the clothes in the back, but that was it.  I didn't see any women there and so not many clothes were even given out.  The exchange with my 'special needs friends' went off without a problem.  Whew!  Praise the Lord 

Now the rest of the trip could begin.  I drove over to the Carl's Jr at Soto and Washington and bought the food, then started going to a couple of places around there where I've helped people recently.  No one was at those places, but when I got to Grande Vista and Washington I saw a young man standing on the turn lane island holding up a sign asking for help.  I was about to drive west on Washington and turned onto the street that way, but decided to do a U-turn and drive back to this guy.  His name was Elijah.  He was absolutely overjoyed that I had some food and water.  He told me his roommate was they guy standing on one of the other islands and he had just lost his job and they were pretty desperate for money.  I had given him two burgers thinking they would be just for him, but he took off to share them with his buddy.  I had to turn left for the green arrow at this point, but circled back to give them two more burgers and some more water.  The other guy's name was Anthony.  They were so thankful.  I felt so blessed to be able to help them in their time of distress.  Wow! Praise the Lord.

There were a couple of other guys (Louis and Carlos) in alleys down by Washington and Long Beach. Carlos is a good friend of mine.  He is from Nicaragua and is sixty one years old.  He works on a sewing machine sewing pants all day Monday through Friday.  He's always alone, never married and no children.  He's a very pleasant man.  I wish I could do more for him.  He has never accepted food from me, only water ...and prayer.

The next guy I saw was Arleo.  I hadn't seen him in over a year.  The last time he was feeling very depressed and wanted to end things.  Since then he had gotten a pretty good driving job and had a girlfriend, but when he lost his job he lost her too.  Now he was back out on the street (an alley in this case).  He was in the same 'shelter' as Derek, but Derek had gone to jail a couple of weeks ago.  We talked for a while about broken relationships and how no matter how many times you go through it, its never easy.  I prayed with him and told him I cared and God loves him.  He was smiling when I left.  The food I gave him he ate while we talked---he was hungry.

There were two Latino men on a small street off Pico and Olive named Carlos and Jose (go figure). I usually see them on corner of a small street by Venice and Los Angeles St, but here they were.  They usually have been drinking beers and yesterday was no exception.  However, they were happy to see me and have me pray for them!  They always are respectful and call me Pappa.

At this point I had four burgers left.  I decided to go see Antonio and Leticia, they live on Trinity St. The only problem is there are several others living in RV's at the end of the street.  I didn't have enough food for everyone (same problem I started the trip with).  I drove through a series of alleys which come out right across the street from where these two stay.  I stopped with a building blocking the view of the folks down the street and motioned for Antonio and Leticia to come over to me which they did.  Leticia asked where I had been lately and I told them I had been having to work on my weekends, but I had stopped by late last Sunday at around 9:45 pm.  I saw them sleeping on the sidewalk and called out to them softly, but they didn't wake up.  Leticia nearly always asks me to pray for them and this time I asked if there was anything special she wanted prayer for.  She simply asked for prayer for her and her sons.  I didn't know she had sons and I didn't ask where they were... but I will next time I see her.  --Until then.  John




No comments:

Post a Comment