Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Late Monday downtown-8/17/2015

"I'd hate for someone to suffer because I refused to answer God's calling."  Richard Stearns, from his book "The Hole in the Gospel".

I have worked an extra day for the last 4 or 5 weeks and was looking forward to having these three days (nights actually) off from work.  I ended up waiting until Monday night to go and didn't leave the house until about 8:15 pm.  By the time I got down there and was ready to start looking for folks its was 9:00 pm! Sometimes going so late can be a problem because people on the street are already under blankets or whatever they have and are trying to sleep.  But, I was undeterred.  No matter how late it is, I'm bringing the Kingdom down to the streets of L.A.

I didn't have a lot of resources this week, but knew that at least 3 or 4 people would be on Trinity St. I wasn't too far off (there were more).  First there was Lee, a very diminutive older woman who lives on that street.  She didn't recognize me at first, but when she did she asked for some extra food for another homeless man named Alfred who lives there with her.  He came over to the car too and I was able to give out food and water to both of them.  Just on down the street, where Leticia and Antonio live were two other homeless men, Victor and Cole.  Now Cole I've helped a few times before.  About six months ago I first met him panhandling on the corner of Washington and Grande Vista.  He told me then that his roommate, at the time, had lost his job and they were about to lose their place to stay.  Well, they did and now Cole has been homeless ever since.  It's heartbreaking to see the actual physical changes that occur in people as they start having to live out on the street.  Anyway, I gave both these men some food and water and pulled on down the street about 15 or 20 feet and stopped opposite where Leticia and Antonio were sleeping for the night.  I called out to them and Antonio was the first to get up. They both came over to the car.  Leticia told me that she had found a job.  I really couldn't make out what it was she does, but she indicated that perhaps it will help them get a room!  She asked me if I'd pray for them (she ALWAYS asks me to pray for them).  I told her, "Of course I will!" and got out of the car to stand with them.  I praised God and thanked Him for this opportunity she's been given to earn some money on a regular basis.  While I was out of the car I walked over to the other two men, Victor and Cole, and prayed for them too.  That was when Cole reminded me that we had met before. He probably didn't recognize me until I prayed with them.  Victor, whom I hadn't met before asked me what my name is.  Hopefully, I'll see them both again soon.

I only had a couple of burgers left and drove over to Olive St.  By now it was 9:30 pm.  I saw a man sleeping on a couple of mattresses right on the edge of the sidewalk.  I didn't recognize him until I drove up, but his name is Carlos.  He's usually had a couple of beers when I see him and tonight he woke up a little groggy.  Anyway, he said he was hungry and I gave him the last of the food and some water.  I prayed for him and he said, "Thank you Pappa" as I drove away.

In every encounter this night I prayed for everyone and in every case they all started eating the food given as soon as I gave it to them.  I'll use trips like this as a reminder that no matter how tired I am, there are people in need, who are counting on me being obedient to my calling.  Until next time. John

No comments:

Post a Comment