Monday, January 4, 2016

Sunday afternoon-1/3/16

"You, O Lord are a shield for me, my glory and the One who lifts up my head.  I cried to the Lord with my voice, and He heard me from His holy hill.  I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the Lord sustained me."  --Psalm 3:3-5

It was important to make a trip this week if for no other reason than to warn some of my friends of the rain due in here this coming week.  The first storms of the current El Nino season are due to hit here Tuesday and continue throughout the week.  So I loaded up several blankets and what clothes I had (mostly women's this week) and took off.  I bought food when I got down there and had water with me.  It ended up being a rather quiet trip.  The people at the parking lot at San Pedro and 9th have all moved on.  I ended up going to some places I haven't been to in a while around 14th and Essex. There were several 'encampments' in the area and in one of them a man was standing outside his tent area.  I asked him if he was hungry and he said yes.  When he saw the clothes and blankets he asked if he could have some and I parked and got out.  That triggered some activity from several others who were already in their tents.  It was only about 2:30-3 pm, but it was looking cloudy and like it was going to rain soon and most everyone was inside their make-shift shelters.

The man I first talked to was Vincent.  He had a girl friend in the tent who wouldn't come out he said, because she had some skin disease that was ravaging her body and face.  He said he was starting to get a rash across his chest too.  He was talking rather quietly and it was hard for me to hear exactly what he was talking about.  He said she was in the 'final stages'.  This area is rampant with prostitution and drug abuse, so it's hard to be clear about what the real health issue may be.  When I left that street I turn down the corner and before I got to the next stop sign I heard someone calling my name.  I stopped the car and looked around.  Finally, Kesha, came running up.  I hadn't seen her in over a year.  I had heard she had a broken leg (she told me someone broke it) and had been in a rehab and transition program down on 6th street.  She told me Sunday that she had been approved for an SRO housing place somewhere downtown. Although her spot wasn't going to be available for awhile, it was great news to hear and she was very excited about it.  When I prayed with her I praised God and thanked him for giving her this opportunity to get off the streets where it safer and perhaps, lead a more normal life.

I was able to help a few others before I got over to Trinity St and saw Leticia and Antonio.  It looked like they had lost most all of their stuff.  They were putting pieces of cardboard down on the side walk and I think they only had one blanket between them.  I gave them the last one I had with me.  I told them about the impending rain this week.  I don't know where they are going to go.  There is the freeway overpass just down the street.  Those spaces on the side walk under the freeway will become prime real estate in the next couple of weeks.  I prayed with them both and as I started towards the car and Antonio was already walking back to their spot I caught Leticia looking at me.  I gave her another hug.  I felt I hadn't helped them enough to get through this next week.  Please pray for these folks, its going to be a tough 5-7 days to endure.

Well, I hadn't made it down to the burn-out church the last couple of trips.  Nothing there has changed since my last trip down there.  I'll keep praying for renewal there.  Until next time---John  



No comments:

Post a Comment