Monday, May 30, 2016

Downtown 5/29/16

" Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall."  Psalm 55:23

I felt it was important to make a trip this weekend and go right back to where we had the BBQ last weekend.  For one thing I wanted any people I saw that were there a week ago to know that the BBQ wasn't just a one time thing for me.  I may have a BBQ only a couple of times a year, but them seeing me week after week makes an important point, that I'm dependable and always have their best interests at heart.  When they see me, and when they know why I continue to come down there, then it will re-enforce an understanding of the faithful God I serve.  You will be amazed at just how that played out Sunday.  But in addition to that, I wanted an opportunity to see and hopefully talk to the owner who refused to let me do the BBQ on his property last week.  I have been struggling with my initial emotions of being rejected by him.  Although I never expressed anger or resentment towards him outwardly, I did feel the sting of rejection.  So what does a Christian do with these feelings? Jesus taught us (in the Sermon on the Mount) to "...love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."  Each day we have an opportunity to do something to advance the kingdom of God. He had an opportunity that day and declined.  There have been times I have declined too!  Perhaps sometime in the future he will change his mind about allowing his property to be used this way. I kept thinking about the story in the book of Acts (chp 16) about the Philippian jailer.  Here was a rough, tough Roman soldier.  He saw the example of Paul and Silas in prison after they had been beaten and chained up.  Then after a catastrophic event took place that shook the jailer to his core beliefs, he asked Paul and Silas what he must do to be saved.  This occurred all in one night.  Talk about a turn- around!  If it happened once it could happen again.  However, I didn't see the man Sunday.  I've never seen him before and I may never again, but I hold out hope that I will not only see him again, but be about to talk to him about this too.  Luckily, I didn't leave our encounter with harsh words so the door should still be open to talk with him.

Anyway, Sunday I took another big pot of pasta with me and started down there at 9th and San Pedro again.  I saw Red and George from last week and a new guy by the name of "Honor", yeah, kind of an off-beat name.  I hung-out with them for a while and then went over to an alley under the I-10 freeway just west of San Pedro.  An old-timer by the name of James lives there and two or three others live there too.  They were all very happy to see me and loved the pasta (especially since it was still hot). James is very hard of hearing and under that freeway it's hard to hear much of what anyone says.  I had asked him how old he was and I thought he said 70, but I think maybe it was only 57.  He has a ZZ Top; kind of beard which makes him look older for sure. So they had all gotten a bowl of pasta and had looked through the back of the car for clothes.  James came back up to the car window and we were talking for a bit.  He asked me straight-up, "Why do you do this?"  It's opportunities like this that don't come around often enough and yet you live for them.  You try to keep the answer somewhat brief, but when he found out I do this because I have the love and spirit of Christ in my heart and a passion so serve he was overjoyed!!  That was pretty amazing. Now I have seen and helped this guy for at least 2 or 3 years. He lives right near where Antonio and Leticia live who I usually see pretty close to every week.  He has always been happy to see me and has said he loves what I do in coming down there.  Being regular and dependable counts for a lot.

I went around to a couple of other folks, Antonio and Leticia being two and Phllip a few blocks west on 16th near Los Angeles St. There were a few others near them that got the rest of the pasta. The pasta actually went pretty quickly, probably only the last bowl wasn't hot which is kind of rare.  I ended up by praying in front of the burned-out church.  Yes, I went there last week after the BBQ and prayed too.  That neighborhood and that church are always in my prayers. --Until next time.  John  

No comments:

Post a Comment