Monday, December 26, 2016

Christmas Day downtown-2016

"That night in the fields near Bethlehem some shepherds were guarding their sheep.  All at once an angel came down to them from the Lord, and the brightness of the Lord's glory flashed around them.  The shepherds were frightened.  But the angel said, "Don't be afraid!  I have good news for you, which will make everyone happy.  this very day in King David's hometown a Savior was born for you.  He is Christ the Lord.  You will know who he is, because you will find him dressed in baby clothes and lying on a bed of hay."  Suddenly many other angels came down from heaven and jointed in praising God.  They said:

                       "Praise God in heaven!  Peace on earth to everyone who pleases God"  
                                                                                                                              Luke 2:8-14

There's something about the birth narrative of Jesus that is always so comforting to hear each year. It's as if God is reminding us through all the chaos we find ourselves in at this time of year that "I've got this, relax, don't be afraid."  Yet life does go on and the pressures you and I face, though different from the pressures the folks living on the street face, are just as real today as they were yesterday. Perhaps, a glimpse into their world today will get our minds off our problems for a bit.  My first encounter on Christmas Day was with a guy named Lawrence.  I have seen him the past three weeks with the last two times being on this small street just west of Olive and Pico Ave.  He's 58 years old and grew up in the Pasadena area.  When I drove up he was about to move over to the other side of the street because that side was in the sunlight and sitting in the shade was very cold even though it was noon time.  I had made a big pot of pasta and since he was the first one it was still very hot.  He was quite thankful for it because he had spent his last money on a loaf of bread ($3) and during the night rats come out from all the surrounding buildings and had completely eaten his bread.  Yet through it all he summed up his life and his plight in life as "I wouldn't change anything.  I've had a blessed life."  It was amazing to hear him say that since it echoed the words of the apostle Paul when he wrote in his short letter to the Phillippian church, "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be poor or to have plenty, and I have lived under all kinds of conditions.  I know what it means to be full or to be hungry, to have too much or too little.  Christ gives me the strength to face anything." 



A week ago at this very spot another couple of guys came by while I was with Lawrence.  Let's just say they didn't have his attitude.  No matter what I had to give them that day, they wanted more. Yet I still was able to pray with them so I considered it a good encounter even though when I left them I felt like something was missing there.  Anyway, back to Christmas Day.  I left Lawrence and drove just a little bit further down the street to another man sitting on the sidewalk in the sun.  I've helped this guy before too, his name is Carlos.  He was ecstatic over the hot meal.  When he got a blanket and a pair of socks he was really happy.  You can see the blue blanket and the white socks here on the right.  The bowl of pasta is out of view, but on his lap.  He probably put the socks on after he ate the hot meal.


I'm not really sure what those white "pants" were that Carlos had on.  Maybe it was just a sheet he put around his waist.  He struggled to get up and come over to the car.  I had brought several blankets and socks to give out, but didn't bring any jeans. It looks like he could have used a pair.  I'd say the temperature even in the sun was probably no more than 45 degrees.  It wasn't quite as windy as last year on Christmas Day, but it wasn't much different.  It was just cold and a good day to be inside and warm. Unfortunately, not a luxury these folks enjoy.

I drove around helping a few other groups of two's and three's. Most of them I've helped before and most have had the pasta before too and were looking forward to getting some on Christmas Day.  Most all of these folks live a ways away from the missions on skid row, so this was their "meal" for the day.  I gave out 7 or 8 blankets and at least 12-15 pairs of socks, items that are important throughout the year, but especially so during these weeks when the temperatures are at their coldest of the year out here in the Los Angeles area.

This was probably my last trip downtown this year.  I have a different trip to make next weekend. This year has been quite a challenge for me both schedule wise and physically. I'm hoping the new year brings better opportunities on both fronts.  I have been greatly blessed and privileged to help these people throughout this year.  Bringing God's kingdom to the streets is just a adventure.  There are obstacles that always come up so unexpectedly, but that are prayerfully overcome for those who abide in Christ.  It truly is a learning experience.  I have been blessed to partner with so many people who have provided me with blankets, socks, food, jackets and shirts to enable me to gain access to talking and building relationships with these folks. I hope you have seen the blessings from heaven poured out on these streets and alleys and underpasses throughout this year.  I also hope you still look forward to hearing about them.  I love sharing the stories.  Until next time.  John

No comments:

Post a Comment