Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas Day Downtown--2011

It was a pretty warm day for late December. I think the thermometer said 67 degrees when I was getting off the freeway at Alameda St. I wasn't sure if the Jack in the Box would be open or not so I had bought some sandwiches and had four regular bags of food just in case it was closed. Surprisingly, it was open and I was able to buy a bunch of burgers to give out. While waiting for the order, I saw Richard Brown recycling outside. I walked out to talk to him and he told me that Dave (Parker) was over where he lives and was waiting for me. I had hoped that more of the guys would be there Sunday, but when I got over there only Richard and Dave were there. I had told them two weeks ago that I would be there on Christmas day. Last week when I saw Solo, he told me that a woman who they call "OG" had died. I knew that both Richard and Dave knew her. Richard had told me a couple of months ago that a man they referred to as "Angel" had also died on 25th and Hooper. I wanted to give these men an opportunity to talk about these friends of theirs who had died if they wanted to. We did talk briefly about it, but they seemed to be OK with it. At this stage of their lives they understand that we could die at any time and that it is part of life. Richard lost his brother, Cleveland, a couple of summers ago and I think he was more upset with that one at the time than these two. Anyway, I told Richard and Dave about a story I read about an orphanage in Mozambique, Africa. During one week several babies (about 7 or 8 as I recall) that had been brought to them died. The woman in charge, Heidi Baker, was very distressed about it and cried out to the Lord asking why this had happened. She said the Lord answered by telling her, "I only ask that you love them into my arms." It was such a simple yet profound answer. It didn't answer the question of why, but did give the path of action that we all need to take. "Just love them into my arms!" It occurred to me that this is what we are to do with everyone we meet! After all, Jesus said the two main commandments are to love God with all your heart, soul and mind and (2) love your neighbor as yourself. If we keep theology simple and obey these two commands it does make life simpler....love God and love people. How simple can it get?

I had met with a couple of men last week, one was Mark and the other was Melvin. I told both of them that I would be there on Christmas day, but I couldn't find either of them. I did see Willie and Robert. I looked for Tara Lee and Doug, but couldn't find them either. Along the way I was about to help several others who I hadn't met before. I had a lot of extra food with me (but not a lot of extra time). On Olive street I pulled over to help a man who was going through a trash can looking for food. While I was helping him, two other men walked up needing help. There was a woman named Mary who I have seen and helped the last three weeks or so on a corner on 16th just east of Hill. She was all bundled up (it's colder when you sit in the shade like she was). I was able to give her some hot burgers and a blanket too. I was disappointed though when she didn't want me to pray for her (she asked instead that I pray silently AWAY from her). Perhaps in the future, I'll find out more about her. She doesn't seem to want to talk too much, although I did find out that she is from the local area. I'm guessing her to be in her thirties.

During my trip I drove over to Cloud Nine Alley (still no one living there) and down to skid row. Skid Row was packed! There were also serveral relief organizations in the process of setting up to give out assistance. I saw more children down there than I usually do. On one of the streets off 5th, I saw a church service going on with an overflow crowd sitting in folding chairs on the sidewalk. It was Sunday and they always have church services going on in some of the store front locations around skid row. Richard Brown had told me that in the last 24 hours that many people had stopped by to give out food. This probably occurs all over the downtown area at Christmas time.

Although I saw several more people than I've mentioned, I did want to say a little about my stop with John Stokes. He was surprised I had come down on Christmas Day. Throughout the two plus years that I've been making these trips, I've always been somewhat concerned about the mental outlook some of these people may have about me. Yes, even I have some insecurities! Even though I go nearly every week, I sometimes wonder if the people I see ever say to themselves, "Yeah, John comes down here a lot, but then he gets to go back to his 'regular perfect life'." You and I both know that nobody has a 'regular perfect life' and mine has just a many problems as the next guy. Yet I wanted my friends, who I have met down here and mean so much to me, that they are important enough for me to take time away from my family even on Christmas Day to make sure they have a good Christmas too. I had spent time with my wife and daughter in the morning and after the trip spent the rest of the day and evening with my extended family. Yet, the 3 hours or so I spent downtown was well worth it. There were people who I was able to give assistance to who may not have gotten anything to eat that day if I hadn't made the trip. There were people I prayed with that day that may not have given God a moment of attention if I hadn't stopped. As is often the case with these encounters downtown, the moment passes and it's only later, when I reflect on the encounter that I am hit with the importance of the mement that I completely missed at the time it ocurred. I always pray for encounters with eternal significance. I hope that is the case with some of these people that I met on Christmas Day downtown. --Until next time. John

No comments:

Post a Comment