Monday, January 16, 2012

Downtown-1/16/2012 on Martin Luther King Day

The first question that the priest and the Levite asked was: "If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?" But the Good Samaritan...reversed the question, "If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?" ---Martin Luther king, Jr from a speech April 3, 1968 (the night before his assasination).

I began a blog back in August with this quote. It seemed appropriate to use it today, being Martin Luther King Day. It is one of my favorite all-time quotes and it encapsulates the message of Jesus' parable of the good Samaritan. You will probably never know how difficult it can be to make these trips downtown sometimes. We all lead busy lives and it's easy to let other things get in the way or to use the "I'm tired card" and just stay home. But two things always seem to win out over the myriad of excuses to not go. The first is the message found in the quote above. What will happen to these people if I don't go. More than likely, the answer is they will remain hungry or hungry and cold. I can't save the world, but I can relieve hunger and cold for a few people and pray with them too. The other thing that comes up is, "What will I miss out on?" I began this ministry to 'be where God was working'. When we make ourselves available for His use, then He will use us and that is always an adventure. Some trips are more adventurous than others to be sure, but you never know what's ahead. You can use the analogy of quality time and quantity of time. Given enough quantity (opportunity) will eventually generate quality experiences.

Today I was given quite a surprise by John Stokes. I was down to my last bag of food and since I hadn't seen John since Christmas Day and since he is by himself again I decided to stop and see him. He was laying down but quickly got up when he saw me. When he came over to the car and we started talking I asked him if he knew what day it was. He said, "Monday". I said, "Yeah, but do you know it's Martin Luther King Day?" He said "No, I didn't know that." That's when he told me that back in the early 60's he marched with Martin Luther King, Ralph Abernathy and Jessie Jackson in Selma, Alabama. I don't know how many people from that era are left who can make that claim. I knew John was from the Atlanta, Georgia area and I was certainly glad I stopped to see him today or I might never have known this. I'm proud to know him and call him my friend.

Well, that was my good fortune today, but along the way I was able to help 5 other people who desperately needed help too. The first was Dorothy. I don't see her to often, in fact, only twice before and today she looked even more worn-out than usual. She was glad to get the food. I also saw Dalton today. I haven't seen him in a few months either and today I found him near where I usually do, but he was sitting down on the sidewalk in the sun light trying to get warm. He had on a jacket and was half asleep when I walked up to him. I gave him some food and a blanket. Mary I saw on Christmas Day. I haven't been able to get much of a conversation going with her yet. She didn't want me to pray with her the last time and I didn't push it today. It will happen when she's ready and I'm OK with that. I just haven't been able to figure her out yet. She sits on the corner at 16th St near Hill St. She has a suitcase and a small chair that she sits on. She appears to be waiting for someone or something to happen, but she's been there now for 2 or 3 months. I don't know what to think of her situation. I'll keep praying that she will open up and talk with me sometime.

A couple of weeks prior to Christmas I met a man named Mark who was living under the freeway at Central and 16th. I tried to find him on Christmas Day, but didn't see him. I looked for him there today and around the corner on 17th St, but still didn't find him. However, I did find Rick from Oakland who knows Mark. He told me that Mark was out recycling. I gave Rick a bag of food and told him to tell Mark I said 'Hello' and that I'd keep looking for him next week. I also had met a young man named Melvin the week before Christmas that I also tried to find on Christmas Day but without success. I was even having trouble finding the corner building where I first saw him. Today I found the location at Stanford and 10th, but he wasn't there today either. That didn't really surprise me, because today is a weekday and that building is a cold storage warehouse that is in use. I'll have to try looking on another Sunday some time.

No trip is complete without an encounter by the Jack in the Box. Today it was a man named Kevin Oneal who was from Arkansas. He had a bicycle and was hitting up people coming out of the Jack in the Box for change. I noticed he seemed to be in quite a lot of back pain. He said he had some vertebrae/disc problems with his back and it was really painful. I didn't have anything for the pain, but gave him a bag of food, which should enable him to get off his bike and his feet. Hopefully, that will give his back some relief too. Yes, we talked about our Arkansas connection and he thanked me for praying with him and giving him the food.

Well, that was today's trip. Six encounters and six people helped. Jesus' story of the Good Samaritan was in response to a question by a religious man of his day which was, "Who is my neighbor?" Five of the six people today I've helped before. Some I've helped only a couple of times and others several times. They all live 25 miles away from me. I say this because some who read this blog don't live in this country and may not know the terrain. I still think of these people as friends and neighbors. I wouldn't want to think tonight about what would they be doing if I hadn't stopped by. I'm sure Dalton is wrapped up in his new blanket as I write this. That is a comfort to know. --Until next week. John

No comments:

Post a Comment