Sunday, August 12, 2012

Downtown 8/12/2012

"Some of God's best lessons can't be learned in a class, they can only be learned on a journey."  Bill Johnson, from his book, 'Hosting the Presence'

I had to make a trip out of town on Sunday and didn't know if I'd feel up to stopping by downtown on my way back or not.  It was going to be a long trip, three hours of driving each way.  I knew it would be another hot day like it has been all week, so on the chance that I'd feel up to stopping on the way back I packed the ice chest and took 15 or so bottles of water with me.  On the way back, I went ahead and bought some ice in Bakersfield and started to chill the bottles.  I didn't stay too long downtown, just long enough to see some of my regular friends and hand out the cold water.  Didn't have any food to give out, just the water, but all who received some were grateful.  For people living day-to-day, any help is appreciated.  Many times days go by for them without anything to eat or drink that's cold or hot.  Receiving a cold drink on a hot day is precious.  There is a story in all four gospels about the feeding of the five thousand.  Usually, when we hear about it, we are told that this story is repeated four times so we understand God's ability to use underwhelming rescources to cover overwhelming needs.  Yesterday, I looked at it a little differently.  I was the kid with the five loaves and two fish.  I gave what I had away for the Master.  He can do amazing things with 15 bottles of water.  --Until next week.  John      

No comments:

Post a Comment