Monday, August 6, 2012

Downtown 8/5/2012

"Make a joyful noise to God, all the earth, sing the glory of his name, give to him glorious praise.  Say to God, 'How awesome are your deeds!'"  Psalm 66:1-3a

I decided to go a little earlier Sunday so I could get home sooner for my daughter's birthday celebration that night.  I arrived down at skid row around 1:30pm and prayer-walked the area.  I had asked God to give me someone to pray with, but nothing materialized.  In retrospect, there were proably a  couple of opportunities that I didn't pick up on at the time.  I've got to get better at listening to Him.

I had already picked-up some bottled water and ice before leaving home, but hadn't hit the "Box" yet to pick-up any food.  I drove by a couple of places to see who was around and found Willie, Dave and EJ in one of the alleys.  They told me Chris and Tara Lee were over on the other alley where we had the barbecue last month.  I told them I'd go get some burgers and meet them over there.  When I returned what unfolded was one of my most memorable times ever downtown.

As I pulled down the alley I could see these five men sitting around waiting for me.  Keep in mind these are five African-American men who are all within a couple of years of my age except for Chris who is about 30 years old.  So as I pulled up, with the windows down, I started singing Otis Redding's classic, "Sittin' on the dock of the bay".  Wow, did their faces light up!  EJ said, "Oh boy, John's singing Otis Redding!"  For those of you too young to know this song, you'll have to pull it up on youtube.  Suffice it to say, it's a perfect song for a lazy, hot summer afternoon.  Well, I pulled over and parked and after handing out burgers and water EJ said, "John, sit down here (pointing to a milk crate) and pray for us."  It was equal parts a command and a plea.  What happened next was totally unplanned and unrehearsed, there was no fear and no nervousness.  I simply started telling them about a couple of things from the church service I went to that morning.  One of which was a short video that consisted of 7 or 8 very famous people who experienced failure early in their lives.  I only spoke of two.  They were Michael Jordan, who didn't make his high school basketball team and went home and cried.  The other was Abraham Lincoln who had 2 failed businesses and lost eight elections before becoming president.  I shared with them how I related to these people because in my 20's I led a life of recklessness and irresponsibility.  I always had a job and worked hard, but could never get ahead because of my self-destructive behavior.  You think maybe I had their attention by now?  I went on to say that there was a verse the pastor quoted that, although I had heard it many times before, there was one word in it that jumped out at me like never before.  The verse was in Hebrews 4:14.  It talks about Jesus being our high priest before God, but the writer uses the adjective "great" high priest.  The verse goes on to say that Jesus is able to sypathize with our weaknesses because he had been tested in every way like we have, but he was without sin.  We even talked about Peter denying him 3 times (Peter's failure).  Then the verse finishes with, "let's approach the throne of grace with boldness, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need [because of our 'great' high priest]."  I ended by praying for us all and when I finished Tara started singing the old gospel song, "He was alone".  It was really a special moment.

About four years ago after reading Hudson Taylor's biography I felt the desire to preach the gospel in non-church settings and started praying about it.  I've preached the gospel in churches on Sunday mornings many times and adult bible classes too.  But none of it compares to giving a short gospel message in a dusty alley downtown to five needy people who desparately wanted to hear it.  I felt like George Whitfield and John Wesley must have felt when they started preaching in open fields in England to people who weren't welcome in the churches of that day because they were too poor or led 'sinful' lives.  I've got news---we're all in that group.  It's not every week that I get an opportunity like this, but it's memorable when these times do happen.

I must have stayed and talked with my friends for about an hour, just hanging out and talking about 'stuff'.  We even tentatively scheduled the next barbecue for the last Sunday in September--before my schedule changes back to nights.

Remember when I started this blog today and asked God to "give me someone to pray with"?  I said I think I missed a couple of opportunities to pray with some folks on skid row.  Yet God graciously gave me this other opportunity a little while later.  Luckily I didn't miss this one.  Praise His name always, for He will give you the desires of your heart.  ---Until next time.  John 



No comments:

Post a Comment