Monday, July 15, 2013

Downtown 7/14/2013

"Strengthen the feeble hands, steady the knees that give way; say to those with fearful hearts, 'Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, he will come with [power]; with divine retribution and he will save you'." --Isaiah 35:3-4

I was still pretty worn-out from last week's trip and a busy last 6 days.  I was tempted to stay home and just rest, in fact, I told Maurice and Elisha that I might not make it down this weekend, but I felt up to it when I got up Sunday afternoon (remember I'm working nights these days) and decided to go.  I felt no special word or leading from the Holy Spirit, yet the trip was not devoid of His presence.  Sometimes I think just being regular and dependable in going is important for me and to those I serve.  Last week I didn't see Antonio and Leticia, who only live on the other side of the block from where I had the barbecue.  I think after seeing them yesterday, they kind of missed me coming by.  Most of the people at the barbecue last week I didn't see this time.  However, Louis was there.  He was the one with the big smile last week.  He is always so appreciative of the help I give him and the prayer time we have.  I'm not sure how it happened, but he has told me several times that he has had some head injuries and often can't remember things.  He's about the same age I am, doesn't remember the year he was born, how old he is or when he graduated high school (if he did).  I thoroughly enjoy talking with him.  While I was talking with him a couple of others stopped by asking for help too.  One man was Jacob and the other man was riding by on a bicycle.  I asked what his name was and he told me, but I couldn't write it down at the time and I've forgotten what it was (and I haven't even had a head injury!).  The thing about the guy on the bicycle was he looked at me like we've seen each other before, perhaps he was one of the ones who came by last week.  I had just given out the last of the burgers, although I did have some canned food to give him and some water.  There was something about the big smile on his face when he saw me that has stayed with me.  Maybe, it's just a reminder that everyone I meet in these trips needs to be met with God's love and treated like they're valued people and missed.  Every trip and every expression of love is of value to these people and to God.  In our western culture, Christians are usually thought of as being narrow minded and the things we are 'against' are spoken about more than the things we should be known for.  We are supposed to be known by the way we love  and serve.  I still consider it a miracle that God has changed my priorities to make me into someone willing to use my time and resources to serve others.  That's probably the biggest miracle of this ministry.  He has gifted me and given me 'talents' that I never would have put together on my own.  I've been thinking a lot lately about the parable of the talents.  In that parable the one who did nothing with the talents given him was severely punished.  I think the uniqueness of each of us makes the discovery and use of our special gifting a lifelong adventure.  The apostle Peter wrote, "Each of you has been blessed with one of God's many wonderful gifts to be used in the service of others.  So use your gift well." (1 Peter 4:10)--Until next week. John

No comments:

Post a Comment