Thursday, November 13, 2014

Monday afternoon downtown-11/10/14

"I the LORD, was ready to answer even those who were not asking and to be found by those who were not searching.  To a nation that refused to worship me, I said, "Here I am!"  All day long I have reached out to stubborn and sinful people."  --Isaiah 65:1-2

Well today's trip started out being as much a PR trip as anything.  I needed to get down to 25th and San Pedro and remind those folks that I would be back on Sunday afternoon for the dinner I'm planning.  By the time a got there it was about 2:20 pm.  The elementary school down the street had just let out and San Pedro St was pretty packed with cars.  I saw Hiram,but he was sleeping.  I saw Queen Victoria and her face lit up when she saw me.  There was no place to park, so I called out to her and reminded her to tell everyone that I would be back on Sunday afternoon.  Hopefully, that will be enough.  Please pray for 'the 25th street gang" to be there.

On the way over there I saw Solo.  I hadn't seen Solo for almost a year.  He was on a sidewalk at 21st and Central.  I didn't know until he told me, but he's 64 years old.  I told him I was turning 60 this week.  He is looking to get into a 'program' next week.  He said, "I have to get off the streets".  He had told me that he hadn't been feeling well lately either and asked me to pray for him.  So in our short conversation I had a few things to petition God for on his behalf.  There was another homeless man on the sidewalk a few feet away from Solo, his name was Jorge.

There were a few others I helped, Dave and John Stokes were two, but the last stop was kind of heartbreaking.  I was driving down Hunter St by the LA Times building.  There are a lot of tents set up on that street, but as I drove by I couldn't actually see anyone.  Then as I got almost down to the end of the street by Alameda I saw one girl sitting on a milk crate by her tent.  I had driven by, but stopped and backed up to where she was sitting.  I'm guessing her to be about twenty years old.  I had the window down and called out asking if she was hungry.  She said yes and as I opened up my bag of sandwiches another young 20 year old girl popped out of the tent next to her and she came over looking for food too.  Then a man in his forties (with a lot of tattoos) came out of the same tent as the second girl and he was looking for food too.  They all tore into the sandwiches immediately.  The Lord sent me by at just the right time for them.

Sunday will be a big day downtown at 25th and San Pedro.  It's not going to be a BBQ, but it will be another type of dinner I'll be putting on.  Please pray for this day and that's God' Kingdom will be expanded, that we will be protected from harm, that I will be able to pray for people I'd never get the chance to pray for otherwise and let them know God loves them.  In Jesus name.  --Until next time.  John.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the work you continue to do on the behalf of these people.

    ReplyDelete