Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Monday night downtown-11/3/14

"My sheep know my voice, and I know them.  They follow me..."  John 10:27

I was just too tired and it was too late to go Sunday when I woke up.  It was about 7 pm when I was awake enough to go and I hadn't gotten the car ready (loaded up) or anything.  I decided I'd get things ready for a trip on Monday night.  I was pretty sure I could get downtown by 6-630 pm and that was about the way it worked out.  I have been trying to be more attentive to God's leading and speaking to me in my prayer time and in situations when I'm on these trips.  It's a learning process of recognizing his voice.

So I was in the Carl's Jr on Soto and Washington waiting for my order of burgers.  I was praying about this trip and looking around the room and the other people waiting and eating there.  It was after 6 pm and now its dark out.  There was a woman who had gotten up and gone to the soda machine to get a refill, except that she had a cup for water.  I also noticed that one of her pant legs near the bottom of the left leg was torn about eight to ten inches from the cuff.  I'm guessing her to be in her 40's and she was very thin.  She sat back down at a table and I started thinking that when I got my 16 burgers I'd offer her one.  Her table was next to (back to back) another table where two young men were sitting and eating their meal.  I was trying to  figure out a way to offer her some food without the guys in the next booth hearing what was going on.  I felt pretty sure that she could use the help even if she had already eaten something, but out of respect for her I didn't want to draw attention to her situation, especially if it wasn't warranted.  When the time came to pick-up my order I walked out by her and noticed she had a wrapper from a hamburger and so I quickly decided she didn't need the help.  By the time I got to my car about 20 seconds later I felt the Lord saying, "Are you going to listen to me or go about on your own "limited" logic"?   By now of course, it was too late to go back in.  Lesson...go with your first instincts on this.

I drove over to 25th and San Pedro St.  As I drove passed the intersection I saw only about two people in the spot where I usually see about 4-5.  I drove on down to about 29th to turn around.  There is a short street leading into a school playground area and a homeless man by the name of Cameron was sleeping on the sidewalk. I called out to him and asked if he was hungry.  He got up immediately.  He remembered me and said it was about 6-8 months ago that we had seen each other there.  I ended up giving him a blanket and pillow along with the food and water.  We prayed together and he was very happy I stopped.

After Cameron I drove on back up the street to 25th.  There was plenty of room to park there and as I drove up I called out to Dave.  I know they weren't expecting me on a Monday night and I don't think they recognized me right off.  But Dave a Hiram caught on quick enough and were at the back of the car waiting for me to open it up before I could get out of the car.  First I walked across the street to where Becky, another woman and Rico were and gave them some food and water.  We talked for a while and I invited them to be there on Nov 16th when I have a BBQ of sorts there.They all said they'd be there.  So I walked back across the street to where the car was and Dave and Hiram.  Dave said he had just gotten back from Texas that morning after a trip to bury his sister.  He said he hadn't seen her in 45 years.  He also said he had  taken Victoria 'home' because she had a doctor's appointment the next day.  I'm not sure who's 'home' she was staying in.  He called her on the phone and I talked with her for a few minutes.  When I got off the phone with her Rico was standing by the back of my car.  I asked him if there was anything in there he wanted and he said "No. I just need prayer."  Now I had prayed with him and the two other women maybe ten minutes before, but he said he needed more prayer (Don't we all?).  I asked him if there was anything specific he wanted me to pray about, but he said there was nothing special.  Figuring that there was "something" troubling him, I started praying asking for not just physical healing, but emotional and spiritual healing as well.  I acknowledged that anyone living as long as we have (I'm guessing Rico to be about as old as I am) has some "life scars" that are hard to overcome.  It was one of the best times ever praying with him. I told him that praying for people down here is my favorite thing to do and the real reason I'm there.  A few others that I know came by before I left and I told them all that Nov. 16th is the day I'm looking to have the big dinner there for them.  They all are looking forward to it.

On my way home I had two burgers left and stopped by were Leticia and Antonio stay.  I hadn't seen them in a couple of months.  Leticia wanted me to pray for them before I gave them the food.  It was wonderful.  I love being God's ambassador.  What a privilege.  --Until next time.  John

  


No comments:

Post a Comment