Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Monday evening-9/14/2015

"Jesus told his disciples:  'Have faith in God!  If you have faith in God and don't doubt, you can tell this mountain to get up and jump into the sea, and it will.  Everything you ask for in prayer will be yours, if you only have faith.'"  --Mark 11:22-24


My last trip was two weeks ago Sunday.  I had promised one of my homeless friends, Willie, that I would be back this Monday evening (I worked last weekend), and we'd meet in the alley we were standing in.  I thought it was doubtful that he would be there, but I wanted to hold up my end of the agreement.  I went down the alley a couple of times but no Willie.  I did help another homeless man and decided I'd better try the other alley a little south of this one, but he wasn't there either.  I did help a few other homeless folks in that alley too.

For those who have followed the last couple of these blogs, I have been prayer-walking in an area south of Washington Blvd between San Pedro Ave and Central Ave.  Specifically, by a corner of Paloma and 27th.  Three Sundays ago I found a church that had been burned up there.  I have asked people around there, but no one really seems to know what happened.  Even when it happened was some kind of a mystery.  The first info I had was it happened 6 months to a year ago.  Monday night when I parked in front of the church there was a woman getting in her car and leaving and I was able to ask her what she knew.  She said she had been working there for three years and the church was like that when she first started coming there.  She appeared to be a hospice nurse for someone living a few doors down the street.  I walked back to the church and started praying.  While praying I noticed some flyers taped to the iron fence around the building.  I didn't pay any attention to them at first, but then happened to notice a banner across the top saying, "We're Still Here!!! We're Coming Back Soon"  I looked again and sure enough it was a flyer from the pastor, a Lawrence Magee.  No other details, just a couple of bible verses at the bottom.  Here is what I saw:




You can understand how my prayers for this place received a jolt from the Kingdom of Heaven after seeing this.  I had to remind myself that this flyer wasn't there the last two (only) times I've been here. I saw a couple of women talking across the street a ways and asked them if they knew what had happened to the church, but they hadn't been living there long enough to know.  One of the ladies said the manager of the place where they were living had just left and she would probably know,  So I left my phone number with her, but haven't heard back yet.

OK, so next up was to go visit Hiram who is now living in a SRO on 21st.  When I found the place it wasn't at all what I expected.  I expected to see an old run down converted hotel, but this was a two story duplex with an iron fence in the front and a freshly mowed yard.  It appeared to be pretty well taken care of although it wasn't a 'new' place.  This neighborhood is pretty old.  There was a woman sitting on the porch steps smoking a cigarette.  Her name was Sharon and there was a dog (pit bull I think) with diaper on named Harley laying down near her.  I asked about Hiram and she confirmed that he lived there, but wasn't home at the time.  We talked for probably 15-20 minutes and I told her how I knew Hiram. There were two places on the property, one was for women and one was for men. She said there were sixteen people living there.  I also told her I had given a dinner about a year ago on the street corner where Hiram lived at the time.  She said I could have a BBQ at this place anytime.  I couldn't believe it, but said perhaps in November we could do something there.  Between now and then I'll have to make a few visits to this place and get to know her and the others better.  I only talked to her (nobody else came out) on Monday.

So my original intent was to get into this neighborhood and bring the Kingdom to the people.  The only way I knew how was to start prayer-walking and let God take care of the rest.  So after three trips this is what's happened.  Remember, my conversations with the neighbors is another aspect of this work that should not be discounted.  I actually told the two women across the street from the church that I was led to pray in front of the church just three weeks (and two visits) prior.  They saw these flyers up for the first time too.  I even told Sharon at the SRO house!  Testimonies are a valid and vital part in advancing the Kingdom. Testimonies are written and repeated all through the bible. Current and personal testimonies speak volumes to people in our culture today.

So when I got home I googled the pastor's name and found a news clip from NBC local news from about 3 years ago about this church and the fire.  Here is what happened:

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Crouch-Memorial-Church-Pentecostal-Fire-LAFD-Los-Angeles-226957031.html

So I will continue pray and to try and contact Pastor Magee.  I'm hoping that when he hears that someone whom he doesn't know and who has no connection with his church is praying for him and his church that it will serve as a great encouragement just as me seeing the flyers taped to the fence in front of the church did for me.  I'll keep prayer-walking.  Until next time. --John


    

No comments:

Post a Comment