Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Sunday downtown-8/30/15


"I've heard You call my name
I've heard the song of love that You sing
So I will let you draw me out beyond the shore
Into your grace

Cause you make me brave
You make me brave
You call me out beyond the shore into the waves

Cause you make me brave
You make me brave
No fear can hinder now the Love that made a way.."    

---Amanda Cook & Bethel Music  "You Make Me Brave"

You can see the all the lyrics to this song when watching the video, just click on 'show more".


Yeah, I really like this song, especially the words about being called 'out beyond the shore into the waves".   Sunday was week two on the Emmaus Road.  I decided to start by going to the burned out church in the photo from last week and start praying there.  I drove around and around and around the area, but couldn't find it.  I finally gave up and parked and started prayer walking where I was.  I said, "Lord, I know you can redeem this time, so help me out here, please."  I walked a couple of blocks and some people were going out to their cars so I decided to just ask them if they knew where the church was.  I showed them the picture on my phone.  Well, they knew exactly where it was and it was exactly where I thought it was.  Only problem was, I WASN'T WHERE I THOUGHT I WAS!  I thanked them and then drove about two or so blocks west (on the west side of Central) and there it was.  I parked and got out and started praying there in front of this church reclaiming the area for His glory.  There is a wrought iron fence around most of the building and a chain link fence in the back. As I walked around it I saw in the back the area were the little kids would have their meeting rooms. I was heartbroken for these kids as the church was no doubt a center of life for a lot of families. There is no sign in front saying what kind of denomination this church was so I have no way of knowing how to contact the pastor.  I found out the church burned about 6 months to a year ago.  I had walked across the street (the church is on the corner of 27th and Paloma) to ask a man washing his car in front of his house (behind another wrought iron fence) what he knew about the church, but he didn't really know anything or at least wasn't saying anything.  He said he was at work when it burned.  I noticed when I was driving around that there are a lot of small neighborhood churches in the area (and I mean a lot). I'll start asking the ones closest if they know anything about what happened to the pastor and the congregation.

When I left the church, I drove by 25th and San Pedro, but once again the people I used to know who lived there aren't there anymore.  I slowly drove passed the next alley north and saw Becky and others in that alley, so I stopped and backed into the alley.  While I talked to Becky I heard some tapping on my car window.  It turned out to be Hiram who used to be one of the folks who lived on 25th!  He has since gotten an SRO (single room occupancy) place on Hooper and 21st.  I was so happy to see him.  I noticed immediately (and asked him) "Have you lost weight?"  Hiram's a couple inches taller than me and was probably over 300-lbs for a while.  He looks a lot better, I just need to find him some clothes and pair of size 15 shoes!  He said where he stays they feed you 3 meals a day, but the quantity and quality isn't the best, hence the weight loss.  Becky told me that a year or so ago she was walking by that church when it was burning!  She didn't know anything about what happened either other than it was an African American church.  It's mostly, but not exclusively, a Latino area, so I don't know if that figured into anything or not.  Hiram said that a lot of the churches in the area are very old and probably of historical importance to the area.  So while I was there in the alley I let the folks go through the clothes in the back of the car and I handed out cold bottled water.  I hadn't brought any food, but it was another really hot day and the cold water was a big hit.  One of the highlights of the trip was meeting a new guy in that alley by the name of Billy.  Billy is about my age with long gray shoulder length hair.  I had given him and another man named Miguel some bottled water.  After I introduced myself to Billy I held out my hand to him and Miguel and offered to pray for them.  So Miguel got up and came over and the three of us held hands and I prayed for them.  I noticed later, after walking back to the folks by my car, that Billy kept turning away and lighting up something in a corner.  I asked Hiram about it and he confirmed my suspicions about what Billy was doing.  All I can say is I hope I see Billy again soon.  I hope to pray with him again and develop a relationship with him.  I don't like to describe and identify anyone by one thing that they do.  We are all a lot more complex than that, but Billy does seem to a have a substance abuse problem.  I hope I can offer him hope and a way out of it.  It begins by loving him the way he is, but helping him realize and become what he can be.  Hiram gave me the address of where he lives now at the SRO.  I hope to visit him there.  He said there are about 25 other men living there.  Perhaps that is where the Emmaus Road will lead.  I don't know.

One other encounter of note.  When I first arrived downtown I bought some ice at a Smart and Final on Hooper St.  As I drove south, I came to an alley where I have had BBQ's before.  I looked down that alley and it appeared to have been cleared out by city maintenance workers.  I decided to drive down it anyway even though I didn't see anyone.  Well, right where I had the BBQ's I saw one of my oldest friends from the street.  His name is Willie and this is right where I first met him too.  In fact, that first encounter was memorable because as I drove up and saw him standing there that day six years ago I asked him if he was OK.  I'll never forget his response.  In a barely audible whisper he said, "I'm hungry and thirsty."  I was able Sunday to give Willie a pair of pants, socks and some cold water.  Unfortunately, I didn't have any food with me, but we were sure happy to see each other.  It had been about 16-18 months since I saw him last.  Here's a picture I took of him Sunday:

  

I'll be working all next weekend so I won't be able to see my friends for a couple of weeks. Please pray for them while I'm unable to visit them.  Until next time. --John

 

No comments:

Post a Comment